1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The steady downfall of something that was once great...

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Jimmy Lawrence, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Out of the 150 top poster on Taxinet:

53 logged in today or yesterday
    15 a week or less
    19 a month or less
    The remainder: 2 months for a few and then varies on to years.

2. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I cant speak for every God fearing member, but trust me, Im one of the guys they say it to, while I am also one of the mods that see what they write and delete, or that we edit. The mods have extra categories on our screens, that shows all activities. Also, all "report to moderator" reports go to our emails.

Steve, youre right, it wouldnt be wise to say its any ONE issue that could take the blame for a slower taxidermynet. I suppose its a different reason or combination of reasons for each individual. It will vary, just like the members vary.

I tend to agree with Scott aka boarhunter, getting the tech problems out of the way would certainly help.Competing with fb is there, but its not huge, as they misbehave there too. Therell always be something I suppose.

3. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

Yep, but on fb you still have the option to remove yourself from certain circles, or drama queens from your friends list and you still have Facebook. ;)

4. Bill Yox

This is true, youre correct. My point was, for those who dont get added to those extra fb groups, that its just as bad there, to make the point that its not so much the site as the players. But yes you certainly are correct. Like here, though...one only needs to move on, and not reply.

5. PacWest

PacWest Active Member

I have been away from T-Net for a while and when I finally return, I get a nice message from Bill Yox because I had the nerve to reply to something for sale. Just like I have for over a decade on T-Net. Imagine that, a public forum on the internet where all of the communication that takes place is via people typing on keys, and now we are not supposed to type words into a 'for sale' ad. What a joke. I remember when Bill Yox was not The Man. Shame.

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    The excuse that drama causes folks to leave taxidermy.net is a scapegoat used entirely too often by too many. Facebook allows people to hide their head in the sand. If someone disagrees with you, you can block them from the discussion where as taxidermy.net you can not. I think as a whole many of us are just too fragile. We like to hear how good we are and cannot handle it being pointed out when we are not. I do not exclude myself from this affliction either. I like it when customers tell me how good my work is. As I eluded to, most of us like to be in control. That's one of the reasons that we are self employed. Taxidermy.net has rules, because it is a public forum, that many don't like to follow, such as the restriction of profanity. These are what I feel are the main factors, other than the technical problems that are all too frequent, which cause the decline of participation here.

7. Well hell, and I just thought everyone was banned.

DP

8. Steven Klee

The interpretation that drama and disagreement are one in the same is a scapegoat used entirely too often by too many. As far as being too fragile and actual drama goes, growing up I've seen people get their faces re-arranged for a lot less than some have said to each other on here. :eek: lol. Just sayin'.

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I keep looking for the "LIKE" button.

10. Steven Klee

HA !!

11. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Steven, Nice try. Drama and disagreement are not the same, I never implied they were, but they do go hand and hand. Disagreement turns into drama, only because those involved often times let it.
    Having been a foreman of construction crews for many years, I learned that no-one is exempt from drama. Some like to say they prefer to stay away from it and in fact they often are the ones that cause it, but from their perspective, it doesn't look that way. Others cannot live without it and create it every chance they get. I believe it is in our nature.
    Those that use drama as an excuse most often, not always, do so after a discussion isn't going their way or they let someone get under their skin.
    I do wish some of those that have stopped posting here, for whatever reason, would return, I learned a ton from some of them and I liked to see examples of their work, but that likely won't happen any time soon and it's too bad.

12. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

The real question is how do we fix or improve taxinet so that it doesn't continue to shrink? It sounds like the two biggest complaints are drama and technical issues. It seems like technical issues would be an easy fix. It didn't use to have issues. What changed? How can it be fixed?

13. Bill Yox

Are you really saying this??? Ken changed the rules recently so the for sale section could run smoother and be fair to all, sellers and buyers, and posted the new rules right across the top of the heading for everyone, new and old to see. Ive been moderating this site for many years, and wrote you the standard note I have been writing everyone who hasnt read the updated rules and does what you did. Its purpose is not for me to feel like The Man, (how lame is that) its to inform our new members that Ken wishes to operate this way, and it makes our longtime members aware that these rules have been updated. I send about 5 or 6 per day, and youre the first one to say this. For those who feel pacwest was treated poorly, I will forward this...

Bill Yox
    Forum Moderator
    « Sent to: PacWest Alaska on: November 17, 2015, 12:06:23 PM »

Hi...Please review our rules for the for sale section, you can easily see them at the top of the for sale list. Plz dont comment in the ad, contact them direct...you could be missing out on items when we edit the comments from the ads. Thanks and good luck.

...Funny, we used to just edit and delete, lately Ive taken the time to send a nice reminder just to help. I guess, in a backwards kinda way this has illustrated our point of this debate very well.

14. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Bill is a Bully. ;D

Go Pens! ;)

15. I received that message from Bill because I was to lazy to read the new rules when they were posted.

I took my hand slapping and moved on, get over it.

DP

16. Steven Klee

I agree with a lot of what you are saying but lets address a few things.

first, I never said "you" personally implied drama and disagreement were the same. Also, in my opinion, drama and disagreement only go hand in hand when maturity and cool headedness is left out of the equation. My father never dramatized anything. I only remember him loosing his temper once, and I deserved it. Everyone tried to get his goat, including my mother at times, and he still never lost his cool.

Lastly, exemption, or even a little drama was never in question, it was " Too Much " drama. So who constitutes how much is too much, well of course it's an individual thing as you stated. The part that some seem to be missing here is when an individual thing becomes a " PERCENTAGE " thing, that's the moment it becomes a viable " PART " of the problem ..

As boarhunter asked, how do we fix it ? I think the higher ups should read through this thread thoroughly, take the advice, and then implement what some of the dedicated, caring membership is asking for. Will it bring back some of the greats, or even not so greats, lol ? It's only speculation till it's at least tried.

17. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Agreed Steven. I just wish more people would grow a little thicker skin but it is an individual choice to be so affected by other's comments and or opinions.
    I don't feel that there really is any way to remedy that part of the equation. Do we develop cliques? No we already have them. Do we limit who can respond to the discussions? No, then it wouldn't be a public forum. If the rules that are in place are followed, then there would be a lot less drama. Ken expects us to act like civilized adults and network with our colleagues and share knowledge, techniques and other things related to our to what we do. We cannot expect the moderators to babysit us all of the time.
    I wish I had an easy fix but my only thought would be that everyone treat each other as you were face to face, but remember, the folks reading what you write cannot see the expression on your face when you type it. If someone really has a beef with someone or what they said, handle it via a PM or other form of contact not on a public forum.

18. George

Steven, I guess we'll just agree to disagree. As for ME, it sounds as if you're into pampering people. That might happen in a Utopia but we ain't there. I honestly don't know who "some of the greats" actually are. If this were a Broadway play, perhaps having Sir Paul McCartney would draw in a following, but his ain't rocket science. Once you get past the skin pulling, gut chunking, hide tanning, what do the "greats" do that I don't. Perhaps the greatest baseball player of all times, Ted Williams turned out to be a dismal failure as a manager. Bill Yox, Rick Carter, Ken Walker, Dennis Harris, and a few others were as good as I've ever been around. The stark reality was that I found that when it came to the actual hands on work, they didn't do it any differently than I did. They just have magic in their hands in getting the results that they do. It's not in the technique which can be taught but in the talent of the hands doing it. Even a hack like me can tell you how it SHOULD be done, but the greats can't teach me the talent they have in getting those results. Only one guy that I would have considered "great" has actually left here completely and since he has a job in Hollywood, I can't say as I blame him for not associating with us commoners. Many journeymen have left, but I attribute that to the site being a passing fancy instead of a moral obligation to help future generations. I enjoy seeing good work as much as the next guy, but I never met anyone I felt as if I needed to genuflect and kiss their ring.

19. Steven Klee

Ha ha, all the debates I've been in on here, I know you know that ain't true. Besides, you're closer to being into pampers than me buddy.... ;D

20. George

Well that Depends.