1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

african skins

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by ed150, Jul 10, 2007.

1. ed150

ed150 deer city time

i have used several different tanners to tan my african skins,out 4 safaris only one tanned up good,the other 3 was like mounting rubber skins,each tannery had reasons why they were like that,tried salt water on them,one guy even said rub bakeing soda on them.im sure its not the tannerys im using some of the best in the nation,can any body tell me what would cause this so i can relay it to the taxidermist in so. africa who will be handeling my next group of hunters

2. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

South African regs, according to what Ive been told, are requiring all skins be soaked in a formic acid solution, after prepping, to control disease? After months in transit, and not neutralising the skins, they come back a total waste. I really wonder, if something is going on here, in an attempt, to get south African hunters to leave their mounts in country for mounting? Less damaging attempts, are being made in Alaska also. Guide commissions from Tannery's, owned by giant Taxidermy shops? Inquiring minds want to know!

3. ed150

ed150 deer city time

i personal went to africa my self and watched them prep my skins,they washed and salted both sides of the skin,then dryed them,after leaving my skins went to a taxidermist who diped and packed them,a year later and a 900.oo dip and pack bill they were ready to ship,long story short its been a nightmair doing them,im at my end on african mounts

4. Laurier

Laurier Active Member

we do a lot of african skins , I tan all my skins , and never have problems , I shave them thin , and get all the stretch

5. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

There is NO conspiracy trying to ruin hides, I do HUNDREDS of African pieces EVERY year. From virtually EVERY African country that permits hunting. I've mounted THOUSANDS of african pieces.
    If you know what your doing and how to take care of skins coming from different area's and conditions you can do anything.
    Ed150 Send then African pieces here, I LOVE THEM.
    PS Oldshaver you are correct but read the procedure, they are neutralized. and We are starting to get many tanned right in Africa, works great for customs clearance and shipping weight.

6. ed150

ed150 deer city time

i know the skins are neutralized be for they are tanned here in the states,are the after dipping in Africa?why would i be having this problem,the 3 safaris i had problems was all from the same dipper/taxidermist,is there ant thing i can do to make mounting any easier,they are like rubber?

7. gab

gab Active Member

In my opinion,and after talking to some tanneries on the subject,It seems thatcertain countries do alot worse than others.South africa is usually good,but some of the less hunted countries have given me and my tanneries problems.I would like to hear if some of the owners and operators of large tanneries have had more problems with hides coming from certain countries than with others