1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Butcher separated head from body....

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by s.iker, Nov 7, 2015.

1. s.iker

s.iker New Member

So i was gifted a deer pelt (a little spiker deer) and the guy brought it to the butcher before skinning it. So he had the guy do it.. Well i guess he cut off the head!!!! WTF??? They said thats normal, which im not okay with if it were my deer getting professionally mounted.. anyways, i have the two pieces..
    what can i do? is it worth trying to sew them back together.... ? Very disappointing for my first deer and its already going wrong (IMO)

2. If im reading correctly it got cut off at the throat.

New cape!
    If you start with junk you end with junk.
    It could be sewn back together, but its going to look like crap. I would bet it was cut from the hair side as well, so there is missing hair. Will be a ring around the neck put back together.

3. s.iker

s.iker New Member

Yea, cut at the neck...

Ugh, i figured that it wouldnt be usable... .. Im so upset... :mad: oh well.. Guess i'll have to wait till i get another cape... smh.. .

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Being it is your first, go ahead and learn on it. Your first is always your worst one, so why do you need a new cape to practice on?

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

You may surprise yourself and it turns out fairly decent.

6. could at least practice prepping the eyes, ears, nose, and lips.... As already said, starting with junk and end with junk, get some experience on this one so you know what to expect on the next one.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Beginners do not need the best materials to do their worst mount on. Use what you have and learn away.

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

When I was starting out, I relished in Shot up, torn up, impossible capes and forms. Ears missing, nose missing, crap. The challenge to make it look like it was perfect was very much what I enjoyed. I learned a lot more than if I was a "new cape" because the Y incision is not perfectly down the middle type of taxidermist. I shot a nice buck in the back of the head with my 7mm mag when it was standing broadside looking away at 100 yards just so I could try to fix it and mount it. The bullet exited the left eye and actually removed a third of the eye skin. Not opened it up, but removed it. After I finished it, I asked people to point to the damaged eye after I described the damage. At 10 ft, no one could tell. At 5 ft, they speculated. At 3 ft they would say ah, there it is, but it looks good enough. My point is that I usually suggest a new cape, even when one that I think I could fix comes in, however, I would much rather be a taxidermist that can work magic on junk and say " I recommend a new cape", than a taxidermist that recommends a new cape because that is all they know and can do. Now is the time to do all you experimenting, not after you have hung your shingle. GO FOR IT and you will know for sure if it is impossible to do or if it is.

9. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Order a McKenzie change out head and mount the head only. That's 99% of the learning on deer.

10. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

Great idea Joey

11. s.iker

s.iker New Member

Sorry it took so long to reply. Been in and out... So i will work on the head for practice. That makes A LOT of sense... As for the rest of the deer pelt, im gonna try to garment tan it, get it soft and make gloves, or boot liners for myself.. Not sure on what... Just gotta figure out how to do that... There is so much with taxidermy, its all so overwhelming sometimes.. But i'll get it eventually...

Thanks again guys!!!!

12. Second Mouse

Second Mouse New Member

Ok, this is just my .02. If I had this problem and had to make the cape work....or if I were a beginner looking for a challenge, I would pull the cape on the form then the head hide and set the face, ears, horns, etc.. Then trim the bottom of the head section from the inside to get rid of the cut hair. Next I would pull the top of the cape up to where it matches the head hide, maybe a half inch or so farther, and attach it to the form with brads all the way around. Then pull the head piece down to get a good match and brad it just the same. Do not put any paste in the area of the seams, rather, put some extra glue about 8 inches below the seams so you can work it up after the bradding. It's not the most practical thing to do but I do believe it's very doable and would be very gratifying if you pull it off. Good luck!

13. s.iker

s.iker New Member

Thank you guys. It will most def be a project to tackle... We'll see what and where i go with it!!!

14. Second Mouse

Second Mouse New Member

If you take it on please show us your work.

15. s.iker

s.iker New Member

Absolutely i will!!!