1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Any of have a pic of a 6.5" cougar skull?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by btr, Nov 10, 2015.

1. btr

btr Member

Any of have a pic of a 6.5" cougar skull?

I'm thinking of buying one, but I've not seen one in person.

If you have a pic of a similar one in hand or with something I can use to judge the size, I would appreciate seeing it.

I'm trying to decide if it is "big enough" or if I should spend more money on a larger skull.

Thanks guys.

2. Rausch

Rausch Well-Known Member

Which measurement is 6.5"? If it's width that's a good sized skull. If it's length it's small.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I agree that 6 is small. If it's a one time purchase, look for a larger one. There isn't much difference in appearance between a large and a small one. Possibly mainly the crest on a male. I posted pictures on here a while ago of one I worked on. Using the Advanced Search will probably turn them up for you. Try Mountain lion skull.

4. RENUIRT

RENUIRT Member

..here's one I just finished..its a female about 7" long and 5" wide.. canines had hairline cracks on them and one actually split and i just glued it together..lol..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. btr

btr Member

Hello,

Thanks all for your replies!

Yes, the skull is listed as 6.5-6.75 inches long, not wide- listed as "medium" size.

The next size up is a lot more expensive.

Sea Wolf, I think I found the thread you mentioned:

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,338002.0.html

How long is your skull?

6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, the one I have is a tom and was 8 1/4 finished. Yes a bigger one is worth it. The raw head for this one I paid over $100 for and buying a raw head and cleaning it would be the cheapest way to get a larger one.

7. btr

btr Member

Thanks- I'm not going to prep my own for various reasons.

Think a 7.5" would be a good display?