1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Seven Dust

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Headshed, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Hey everyone, quick question...
    I got a whitetail buck in today and the customer had dusted it with seven dust to keep the flies off. I prepped it to include skinning so i assume the dust on the hide is a non issue. There's also some dust on the antlers. Currently the skull is drying in front of a fan then I'll freeze it before it goes to the beetles. If i scrub the horns to get rid of the seven dust, will i be alright or is this a disaster waiting for my colony. I appreciate any feedback. Obviously I'm not up for an execution of my beetles but i don't see why, if i seriously dilute it with water and scrub the heck out of it, why this would be an issue.
    Thanks again for any input!

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Scrub and wash the antlers well and it should be ok. Make sure that none of it gets onto the flesh before you get it in there.

3. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

I personally wouldn't risk it but like T said it should be fine if you wash it, bugs are tougher than can be, but if it were me......rot that puppy!

4. Thank you guys for the responses. The customer had actually given me a decent amount of referrals and business so i want to process the head. Specifically, this guy wants the skull bugged, no degreasing or whitening, so a bugging it is. I've already prepped it so I'm thinking if i scrub the antlers upside down real well, then with something else scrub the meat and skull real well with water, it should remove and super dilute the miniscule amount of dust that may be on the skull itself. I guess if you guys get a post from me that a colony is down, you'll know for future reference lol. Fortunately I'm not held to a deadline with this guy so I'll probably save this one to be the last job i do this season just in case.

5. I wanted to provide an update on this.

After having prepped the head, I turned it upside down and scrubbed the antlers with a hose running over them to dilute and wash the dust off.

I let it dry, threw it in, and it was cleaned in a normal time frame.

I followed this head with a bear skull, mostly cleaned top and bottom within 24 hours, no issues.

So with the assumption you very thoroughly clean the dust off, there's no issue. I saw no signs of a mass die off lol.

6. Sea Wolf

People do all manner of stupid things without thinking. Had someone bring an antlered head to me. It had had maggots on it ... sooooo ... he dunked it in kerosene to kill them before bringing it to me. :eek:

7. Oh wow... kerosene. But you macerate as well as bug. I've not tried maceration and to be honest, it scares me. I recently read your post with the beaver heads, about how little work it involved. I just don't know lol. I don't have a weak stomach, but poo and rot can really get to me. I'd like to try it, just for the ones not suitable for the bugs, but for me, I'd have to go above and beyond finding a way to have a setup that cleans itself lol.

8. Sea Wolf

Can't say enough how bad the smell of rot is. It's by far not for the squeamish. But it is the least labor intensive way to clean. I keep bugs only for fragile things. Everything else gets macerated. The beaver post was done just to show how little involvement there is. But ... things do have to get dumped about halfway through and stirring things up doing that can be a blast. If you have neighbors, it's also not a good choice especially in the summer time when folks windows are open. You don't have to mess with it much, but, when you do it can smell real bad. A lot of what I do fits conveniently in 5 gallon buckets and the lids help a lot. When the weather warms up, try experimenting with something small like a raccoon. Will give you an idea of what it's like.

The kero was a first for me and it did somewhat affect the process. Ended up soaking it in Coleman fuel to finally get the smell of kero out.

9. RWOOD

RWOOD New Member

I have kept a large colony for years but find myself macerating more and more. It seems like things degrease easier after maceration. It does stink, it can go through gloves depending on which ones you use and the stench can permeate your cloths and stick to your hair. i usually only mess with it when I can change and take a shower soon after.

10. fogbound

fogbound Member

Seawolf:

I can so relate to the smell issue. After having moved to 20 acres in the WA country and having built a state of the art bug shop, I find myself having to macerate a couple of huge elk. They are outside on pallets in a stock tank, with heaters, under plastic. Every trip thru the snow to the shop I get a good whiff and am appreciative of the relative perfume of the bugs....

11. Sea Wolf

Too bad you moved. Looks like I will be relocating to the Anchorage area and I would have wandered in for a visit. :)