1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Making a Simple Rock Mold with Silicone Caulk

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Jknuth, Jul 11, 2007.

1. ctf1800

ctf1800 Member

Just wanted to add this site: http://www.bragdonent.com/gfguide.htm, you can purchase rock molds allready ad and can purchase kits with the resin and foam I use this for my train hobby thought it might work here too.

2. Speckled Trout

Speckled Trout Member

Has anyone tried to cast something in cement? Will it react with the silicone or try to stick? Would you use a release?

3. partsman

partsman New Member

Spekled, over on the Halloween Forum, one of our members is currently in the process of casting a skull in cement, I'll try to find out what progress she's made and get back to you.

4. sc09

sc09 New Member

So, earlier I had an issue trying to make the silicone to cure using the acrylic paint and I didn't know if it was the acrylic or the silicone that was the problem. I recently bought the red bottle, GE Silicone II-Kitchen and Bath (I was using the blue bottle, GE Silicone II-Doors and Windows) and tried mixing a little bit with the acrylic.

It still didn't set as fast as just the silicone alone and I thought it was working because it somewhat cured on the outside. I peeled it open a little bit and it was all gooey on the inside. I think the acrylic is probably the issue. I used two kind of runny type acrylic paints for this project and they didn't work out so I guess I'll try some of the thicker heavy bodied acrylic next.

As for now, Ive been completing the mold in thin layers of plain silicone and it actually works really well. If enough coats are applied, its really flexible yet firm and doesn't feel like it will tear. Just make sure you let the dish soap dry between coats or the layers might peel apart a little.

5. Awesome Post Josh!! I am going to give it a try. I need to make some rocks for an Otter scene.
    Again, thanks for a very informative post!

6. I have made some excellent sillicone molds. I use Brick In The Yard Mold Supply. http://www.brickintheyard.com/ They are here in Texas and they have some great Youtube videos here.
    http://www.youtube.com/bitymoldsupply

7. joeuhuh

joeuhuh New Member

simple querstion ihavnt seen asked yet when u coat rock with silicone what isit sitting on that its not sticking to (the white stuff i cant tell what it is) cause was gona try this and wondered why ur siliconed rock wasnt sticking to the thing it was sitting on

thanks joe

hehe i know it looks like a piece of styrofoam - i makein sure -- askin dum questions cant make u any dummer and it cant help ur spelling either

8. glarsonnd

glarsonnd 05' Nat'nl champion

I like to staple plastic to a board then set rock on,if rock is unlevel I will build up with clay. I made 12 rock molds and am putting a 4 ft rock border around my home it looks great using using cement and coloring with the camoflage spray on flat colors it looks great.

9. Got any pics?

10. glarsonnd

glarsonnd 05' Nat'nl champion

I will get some it has been raining here for 2 days soon as it quits ill get some and show how I did this. Thanks

11. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

I just did ten rocks like this thanks again saved me a bunch of gi1100 LOL

12. WolfMan96

WolfMan96 New Member

great tutorial, I'm going to use this tutorial for years to come

13. AWESOME tutorial! I'm very excited to try it. Thank you for taking the time to share this with us. In the future will you be able to do the painting tutorial of this ??? ;)

~Leslie

14. Gobblingfever

Gobblingfever 100% PEER GOBBLER ADDICTION!!!!

Yes that would be nice. Probably simple but I am one of those hand on gotta see it type myself not one of them book smarts.

15. In the words of Wesley from princess bride......... "As you wish"

http://www.knuthart.com/joshua/blog/

;D

16. Gobblingfever

Gobblingfever 100% PEER GOBBLER ADDICTION!!!!

Paint type?

17. Acrylics

I use artists arcrylics, but any acrylic will do.
    I even use the cheap walmart stuff

18. anyone try this method on antlers/horns...

19. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Making a usable mother mold would be very difficult if not impossible.

20. Thank you so very much, you are truly amazing (and have great music taste by the way) LOL Thanks again

~Leslie