1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Combining degreasing and neutralizing

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by frenchydermist, Nov 17, 2015.

1. frenchydermist

frenchydermist New Member

hi! what you guys think about degreasing a skin at the same time as neutralizing? Since the skin pores opens un and releases bubbles , is it not easier for the solvent to penetrate the skin and degrease it inside out? I know that some of you degreases during the pickling...but im scared putting a pickled skin in normal tap water ( with a solvent, or maybe another pickiling bath with solvent in it?)and put it back in the pickle..
    I use lutan FN, and I neutralise for 30 minutes just before tanning, adding a solvent in the neutralizing bath...Ive had great succes with fatty skunks and coyotes, resulting with a nice leather, white and soft with no un-tanned spots.

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

A pickled skin is the safest way to degrease. Normal tap water will not hurt the hide.
    It's best to do it this way with a pickled skin 90* water (salt is about 1\2 pound to a gallon) and your degreaser. You can soak your pickled cape in here for an hour to two hours with no harm done. Plan waters pH will even drop at this time to 4-5 during this process.

Now what your doing is an aid in the tanning process but it may not release all the grease but still work. I myself add a solvent to neutralizing bath but I don't use it as a degreaser for the skin.