1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Auodad Sheep head caping

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by woakley144, Nov 23, 2015.

1. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

OK,before I start this post I want George Roof to know that I did a search and must have done it wrong.....LOL

I got my first Auodad in the shop last night, needing to know if you cape the horns like you do for a whitetail or is there something special you must do around the horns? This is one of my best clients and I sure don't want to screw this hide up!!!!!!

Thanks in advance
    Wyatt

Attached Files:

2. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Just find the soft area between the horn and skin and cut around base. I cut between the top of horns to separate front to back, narrowest point, and skin out as you would anything else. Take good measurements first, you can drill a small hole in back of horn into core to make it easier to set them back later.

3. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

Paul B,

I'm stupid :p :-X ..... drill a small hole in the back of the horn to make it easier to set them back???? What does that do?

4. To get them located back to where they belong after cleaning them out. If you don't you could have they rotated the wrong way. Drill the hole through the horn and into the core so you can line them up.

Michael

5. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

Thanks Michael, as stated I have not done an auodad yet and don't want to screw it up by not getting everything done that needs to be done.

Another question, How do you get the horns off to clean them out? My plan is to cape the head cut the skull and then work on the horns.

6. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Put them in a black garbage bag and forget about them for a few weeks, they will rot off. First cut between the horn and core as best as you can, wet them down with water and bag them. After the horns come off and they will stink, clean as you would a euro,pour some baking soda into cores to get rid of smell, then some borax or dry preserve for bug proof, shake out, clean and secure back to core and align with hole you drilled, tiny 1/8 drill bit.

7. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

Thanks Paul!!!! I hate to sound like a beginner but this is the first Auodad I have done. I have the head caped and the horns cut off like for a deer mount. Put them in the freeze until I could find out what to do next. When you cut the horn/core do you cut them completely off or just enough to get water into the core???

Thank you guys for helping with this. I knew there was more to doing a sheep or animal with horns instead of antlers. And I haven't found a video that could help.

Wyatt

8. Gurneyjockey

Gurneyjockey Member

If you haven't already got this done..i believe what Paul was describing to you was to work your knife up in between the sheath and the core a little bit, you're not actually cutting the core off at this point if that was the impression you got. You can just spay a little water into the bag before sealing it as Paul said...this to maintain moisture/bacteria. It needs to be in a fairly warm area for this to work well also.

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Methinks you didn't research quite enough. If you had, you MIGHT (that search engine never works for me either) have found the post where I address aoudads in particular. I use a 1/4 cabinet makers chisel. I keep mine VERY VERY SHARP. When I get an aoudad, I set it on the workbench and take the chisel like a pencil. I press it straight down under the hard horn area all the way around. Once that's done, I insert the chisel tip and pry the hide down from the horn. There's no hair left behind. I let the horns rot a few days and pop them off. Cut off the cores till you only have about 4 inches. Fill the cases with DP and then dump the DP out into the other horn and then back into your bin. Let them dry. Mount your aoudad without the horns. When you're finished and while the hide is wet, stick the open ends of the horn into boiling water and hold it there for 20-30 seconds. Take it out and immediately set it down over the cores. Push it all the way down. While holding it down, drill a hole through the case into the core on the back side of the horn. Push a finishing nail into the hole. Repeat on the other side. When both sides are done, take one horn off. Paint the core and the case inside with a thin layer of epoxy (slow cure). Set the case back over the core and drive the nail into the core a bit. Repeat and then let dry. When dried, cut off the nail and tap it with a hammer till it's flush with the horn. Take a nail set and hide it just a bit under the horn and cover the hole with colored Apoxie.

10. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

Thanks George, as always your knowledge and willingness to share makes you an scholar and gentleman among taxidermists, I wish I had 1/2 on 1/100th the knowledge you have shared with others on this site.

I am getting excited about finishing this mount for my customer!! But I know that if it's rushed it will look a mess. Hopefully will be able to post a picture of the finished mount sometime in the next few weeks.

11. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

Update on the Auodad..... I have the horns off and cleaned!!!!! It was just as you guys said, I wet them and put the horns and skull cap in the black plastic bag for about 2 weeks (WOW What a smell when it was opened!!!!!!) but when I used the small wood chisel to release the horns from the core they popped right off!!!!!!! used the baking soda and DP to dry the horns and then the skull cap after I cut the cores. I was very impressed with the cores and skull cape, God sure did know what He was doing when he created those!!!! That is one of of the coolest things I have seen since I got into the business.

I want to thank everyone who assisted me again with this project. The hide has tanned up nice and decided to take it to competition at the end of this month.

Will post pictures after he is completed.

Thanks again all who responded to my post for help. The Taxidermy.net site is a great place and everyone is willing to help others.

Wyatt Oakley

12. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

Here ya go guys....... The "almost" finished auodad..... LOL Don't throw me to the wolves... This is the first sheep I have ever done.....LOL

With all the tips and help I received from everyone I got him done. Going to let him dry for a few days and put the finishing touches on him before we go to Lubbock to convention...

THAT will be the really challenge as to how well I have done on him!!!!!
    Thanks again everyone!

Attached Files: