1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Elk Hide tanning - Best formula

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by whiteriver, Nov 25, 2015.

1. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

Hey all,

I am a novice at tanning as I have never tanned anything before. Last week I shot a nice bull elk and have started the process of tanning. I fleshed it using a power sprayer which surprisingly worked really well. At this point I have it salted but am at a stand still on what to use for tanning. I bought battery acid (sulfuric), bran flakes and all that jazz but after reading quite a bit more it sounds like this is not the best way to go. What I am asking is should I go ahead and make this pickle bath and do it that way or would it be better to buy the Trappers Hide and Fur tanning solution?

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

ok yes the sulfuric will work but don't use it, there are many safer ways of doing it.

Any of the supplies here sell what we call saftee-acid. It's what's used mostly in this business. You can also use citric acid for that works just as well and is safe to use.

As for tanning y0ou can use a soak tan which is the best method of any tans out there or use a rub on tan.

You can find this at knobloch's Pro-1 or tru-bonds web site and they will carry and give you instructions on their use.

You are trying a very hard animal to work on for it has thick skin and should be thinned down or shaved to make it more pliable or it's going to be thick and hard to make soft.

Also I would interest you in reading in the archives or search engine here and read a lot more on tanning and different methods. You will get many answers on what's best cause it's like this what I use is the best, It's just the way it goes.

3. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

Thanks Frank. And yes I have spent hours on reading the different methods but as you said everyone is bias to a certain method and nobody talks about tanning Elk online :( more so deer and other small animals. I know its going to be a big process as the hide is about 6'x8' but didn't feel like spending north of $300 on it.