1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Can't believe I didn't try sanding sooner

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Ginger2000, Nov 28, 2015.

1. I had a friend review my tans, and the critique was that I wasn't getting the membrane completely off. I had read somewhere that sanding usually helps to soften the tan, so I decided to try it out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sanded - [​IMG]
    Not sanded - [​IMG]

I've never been more pleased with my tans now that I've learned this. Not only did it soften the tan but it cleaned off the membrane and bits of meat I couldn't shift with fleshing. It's also great for additional shaving from what I've seen! I use a small rotary/dremel tool with sanding bits to get this result. Granted it takes a while with such a small tool, which is why I'm on the hunt for a larger sander. The dremel will be handy for intricate areas though!

The only downfall I've found to sanding is the mess it creates, but otherwise, for this result, it's worth it! ;D This pelt is a wallhanger Red Fox (vixen)~

2. freeze_1

freeze_1 Booboo, my business manager

For larger areas I bought a inexpensive 5 speed drill press form harbor freight and a set of sanding drums of varies sizes.
    I use the two lowest speeds on it to avoid "burning" the hide. It really works good for me.

3. mmcdonne

mmcdonne New Member

What grit are you using for sanding?

4. tacklebox80

tacklebox80 New Member

I like an orbital palm sander hooked up to my compressor. Makes quick work of even larger hides

5. I think the grit on the bits is 100.

This is the Dremel/Rotary tool I've been using, sanded two foxes and a rabbit with it so far (rabbit was a nightmare, heh). The battery is effed though, so it has to be constantly connected to the mains via it's own charger for any power behind it. Looking for a newer, bigger sander that'll do the job faster, and possibly another dremel for filling in delicate areas.

[​IMG]