1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mountain Goat Color before mounting

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by [email protected], Nov 29, 2015.

1. Nickgilliam@att.net

[email protected] New Member

I have a mountain goat, tanned by Wild Fur Dressing in California.

On their website, it is stated that bleaching is part of the tanning process for Mnt goats.

However, I have been working on prepping the hide and have noticed it has a vanilla yellow color it it. Mostly in the thick back hair, legs appear white. The blood stains that it went into the tannery with are gone.

From anyone's experience is this normal? You think it will it dry white? Or should I follow George R's steps on bleaching before mount it.

I was thinking about shampooing then conditioning it. Hate to peroxide it if unnecessary.

I may need to contact the tannery to get their opinion.

2. I peroxide 90% of goats myself after they come back from the tannery. Even tho they were bleached at the tannery. Then I shampoo and apply conditioner. I do this on my sloped driveway and hose to rinse really well. Ring out as much moisture as possible then dry with towels. I like my master blower for most animals but for long haired goats you need to be careful or it will matt up the hair!!

3. Lone Wolf AK

Lone Wolf AK Lone Wolf Taxidermy and Wildlife Artistry

X2

4. Alpine Taxidermy

Alpine Taxidermy New Member

Ok so when you say you apply conditioner are you talking about regular hair conditioner like you use on your own hair. Also what about a neutralizer?