1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Coyote Mount

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by stokedlight86, Dec 1, 2015.

1. stokedlight86

stokedlight86 Member

So I am completely new to taxidermy and I so far only mounted a grey squirrel and am finishing up a life size coyote mount that has shown me how inexperienced I am. I have a couple questions and andante actually a little nervous as to the responses so please remember I am a beginner.

I skinned everything out relatively easily except for the feet. I had a heck of a time once I got down to the "wrist" area right before the toes. I watched some videos on YouTube and read people that say that with the feet it's mostly cartilage and bone so they will dry out. I have also read that the footpads will rot and cause problems (smell etc) so I have been injecting the feet and all the pads with Balmex which I'm hoping will do what it says. I also plan to pack the feet as much as I can with borax having lick drying birds feet out with it. Any advice tips or anything would be appreciated. I'm worried that I've done all this work and that one thing is gonna ruin the mount. On top of the many other things I would change and do differently next time. It was a great learning experience and I can't wait to try again!

I also don't know how to insert pictures. If I can figure it out I will attach some of what I've done.

2. freeze_1

freeze_1 Booboo, my business manager

Go to Tinypics.com and sign up, it's free.
    Then you can up load your pics on that.
    Once up loaded you can "copy" the picture code for forums and then paste them to your Taxinet post

3. stokedlight86

stokedlight86 Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope I did this right.

4. stokedlight86

stokedlight86 Member

I know this thing can probably be fixed in 1,000 different ways and I've accepted the fact that it is what it is. My first attempt at a mount larger than a squirrel and I've inly done one of those. I need to finish the tail and some stitching in a leg I needed to cut and reattach. But I'm just worried about the paws. Everything else is in place and tanned, glued down, stitched and dry. But the paws are still soft and pliable and like I mentioned earlier I did not skin everything out but I have injected them with a ton of Balmex. I think I could probably skin out the pads from underneath and clean them then stitch them if I have to. I'm hoping I didn't royally screw up. I would like this to last.

5. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

The paws are probably not skinned out enough. You need to peel them all the way as close to the claws as possible. There's a lot of meat and fleshy material that has to be removed in the paw. Balmex will keep it from rotting, but has probably slowed the drying process. I know you said you haven't finished the tail, but it appears to be way too low and twisted. Pay attention to color patterns on the fur. For instance, on the back left leg there shouldn't be that much white showing on the outside of the leg - it should be inside the thigh. The dark line of fur running down the tail should run down the top of the tail once you get it positioned. For the most part that is a really good job for your first. Much better than my first attempt...Good job!

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

You can split the paws right through the pads and then peel all the way down to the toe nails. You can still do it now if they are soft and pliable enough. You should have purchased the coyote DVD by the late world champion Brian Harness from Taxidermy Training Unlimited. They have many DVDs by world class taxidermists, so, check them out and you might find some DVDs for future projects.

7. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

Feet and toes need to be skinned out all the way, pads need to be fleshed out. Don't trust YouTube videos, there's all sorts of nonsense on there. Get your training from a reputable source. Good luck!

8. tjpeterson92

tjpeterson92 New Member

Hey man! that looks awesome for your very first mount. I am also new. and even newer than you it looks like! I would like ask some questions and talk to another newbie. If you feel like it and have some time shoot me a text. my name is Trent. thanks man. 928-243-4502

9. Hey that looks amazing! I'm a new girl to the block and a lot newer than you it seems! I would also like to talk to newcomers, you and @tjpeterson92 can text me also! My number is 859-638-8557!

10. stokedlight86

stokedlight86 Member

I want to thank everyone who responded with help about the feet on this thing. Got them cleaned up some and stitched up and whatever I couldnt i injected heavily with balmex and they've hardened up and dried out nice and with good shape (no smell). Thanks for the positive feedback. This has been my first big project as mentioned above I've only attempted a squirrel before this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first project. Mr Squirrel lol. Just because I've mentioned it a couple times.

[​IMG]

11. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Check your tail location, its an extension of the spine, yours looks 3 inches too low.

12. stokedlight86

stokedlight86 Member

There's a plethora of things that can be changed or fixed on this mount. The position of the tail is on that long list. One of the biggest things I've learned is that the forms are just that, generic forms that need to me cut, manipulated and adjusted to ones specific needs. The firm had a little nub with a tail wire on the back and I assumed that the position was correct but after stepping back I realized that a little tweaking may have been in order. I could write paragraphs on the little things I learned just from attempting this first mount. I'm currently working on this base and finishing it which is also throwing curveballs my way.

13. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

That's the only way to learn, take a ton of pictures of animal before you skin, close-ups of eyes, feet, nose and mouth. The more reference the better.