1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The most preferred, softest, best smelling shampoo/soap/method for whitetails

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by H4, Dec 3, 2015.

1. H4

H4 New Member

I'm curious what everyone uses for washing their whitetail capes before mounting. I've used a few different tanneries the past few years and the last set of capes I got back last year were simply awesome. They smelled so good, were so soft, clean, etc. They shampoo'd/washed the capes before sending back...they were ready to mount for the most part. The other tannery sends back a nicely tanned cape, but specifically states they need to be washed before mounting. ...they are kind of oily, like liquaTan. In the past I've always just used Kemol 4 to wash my capes. While not unsatisfied with the results, they don't smell as good or feel near as soft as the other ones I got back. So I'm just curious what everyone uses to wash their capes or what methods you use (ex: tumble) to achieve the best results. Thanks

2. Hey bud. For the most part I just run them through a wash and spin cycle using a Liquid Tide. I have never tried adding a fabric softener to the load but that may help as well. I do this on almost everything before I mount it. On some I will shampoo after mounting; goats, rams, bear, elk, etc...larger animals. On some with excess oil remaining I wash them down with laquer thinner and wipe clean. You hear yehs and nehs regarding anything tried, but I have never had any customer complaints regarding either way.

3. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

I wash mine with nothing. Since there dry tanned and super clean, no need to, just rehydrate. Some wet tans can be a mess, use another tannery if that's the case.

4. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Pert here also. Why not ask the tannery what they used?

5. woodsbaby

woodsbaby New Member

I use pert.... smells so nice when mounting. sometimes i just sniff the mount afterwards. I wash mine in the sink but thinking of trying the washing machine option. That would work right? pert plus in the washing machine.....