1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Potasium Permanginate over paint?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by weighttrain_2000, Dec 3, 2015.

1. weighttrain_2000

weighttrain_2000 New Member

I have recently started using potassium permanganate for staining antlers. Although I have been very pleased with the results so far, I was curious if any of you have ever used potassium permanganate over a set of antlers that have been painted white? I believe the intent was to fill in the cracks of the elk antler because they are very weathered. My thought was to sand down the antler before using the PP but like I said I'm not too experienced with the product and I am unsure if the PP can absorb into the antler with it already being painted. Any feedback would be awesome.

2. weighttrain_2000

weighttrain_2000 New Member

For those that are curious, yes, Potassium Permanginate can and will absorb through white paint. Thanks for the PM "Dean".

3. austin_0_4

austin_0_4 New Member

Thanks for posting that. I have so many old antlers laying around that I have wanted to restore... or attempt to restore. It is a project I have yet to tackle! I have always wondered about using pp or paint, among many, many things when it comes to antler restoration. Hopefully this winter I will learn more about it. Will probably take some trial and error.