1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First bobcat mount

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by [email protected], Dec 6, 2015.

1. Nickgilliam@att.net

[email protected] New Member

What do you guys think? I tried to not make a crosseyed kitty like I see all the time.

Attached Files:

2. Nickgilliam@att.net

Better resolution pictures

Attached Files:

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

First of all congrats. Bobcats are not easy. Eye symmetry, pupil cant, and whiskers are what I see need work. The pupils should cant inward slightly at the top. The whiskers need to be spaced evenly and not clumped together. Looks pretty good on the ears, nose and mouth as well as grooming. I have seen a lot worse from a lot more experienced taxidermists. Good job.

4. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Check nose color references again.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Actually, after looking more at it, the symmetry isn't off by much. I think it's more like one eye lid has a little jag in it.

6. Brian

Brian Active Member

Looks good but I agree nose color is off and left side wishers need work.good job.

7. Nickgilliam@att.net

Thanks guys! Crazy as it sounds the pic was taken a hair to the left which makes the right eye look a tad different. But I agree with all the comments.

I had positioned the whiskers and kept checking them, however they settled not the way I wanted. I had fleshed each butt individually and set them in clay. I'm thinking next time using epoxy sculpt in the backside of the whisker patch? I need to paint the nose color different, and will. To be honest I did it once with very dilute mixture of pink/orange and it looked fake. I'll put some time into getting that fixed. It was Hendricks but I cut off the nose and clayed in my own. For some reason I prefer real skin noses, even if they are not as "perfect" as a plastic nose. But the Hendricks form really helped me on the eyes and face features that I would of perhaps made much worse.

I also learned that a great tool for getting eye alignment closer is to take a picture. You can see alignment issues better with a camera than a naked eye it seems.

Thanks guys

8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Another trick is to stand behind it and hold a mirror up and it will give you a whole different perspective and point out issues that you hadn't seen already.

9. Nickgilliam@att.net

Awesome 3bears. I'll try that.

10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

World champion Brian Harness' DVD from Taxidermy Training Unlimited that will help you on things including the nose. Hint: It's not pink or orange.

11. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

Great first attempt ! Mostly just working those hair patterns for symmetry. Can't wait to see the next one !

12. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Next one, pull the whiskers, put in order into a lump of clay before mounting. After the mount is dry, groomed, and finished, use a pin and glue whiskers. I use 5 min apoxie, but superglue works as well.

13. I think you did a good job for your first cat. I struggled with nose color for years. Keep at it!

14. kjdouble

kjdouble Member

Congrats on your first cat, they can be very challenging. Some areas to watch first would be your eye shape, usually the highest point falls over the pupil. Yours seems to fall beyond the pupil. You also seem to have drawn the corner of the eye down the bridge of the nose, this can be seen by the shape of the white line below the eye. Your ears seem to be set a tad wide but that maybe due to the leading edge of the ear is in line with the trailing edge. This makes your ears very upright and flat looking. Watch your hair pattern of the interior of the ear hair. Don't let the skin open up below the nose so that you get hair to hair.
    Keep up the good work.
    KJ

15. kjdouble

kjdouble Member

photos of what i was talking about
    KJ

Attached Files:

16. Nickgilliam@att.net

Second attempt at a bobcat.... This time life-size.

Attached Files:

17. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Please post the reference photos you used to set the wiskers and paint the nose. You didn't make any improvements on those 2 areas than your 1st cat.

18. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

x2. Did you mound the 2nd before you posted your 1st on here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I hate to say it, but the second one you posted doesn't look as good as your first.

20. 1stturkey

1stturkey Member

Certainly nose color stands out as being far from accurate. A house cat has a nose color closer to the correct color than just black. Pupils look pretty good.