1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bought new fleshing machine

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by keriWCL, Dec 6, 2015.

1. keriWCL

keriWCL Member

How thin is too thin when fleshing? I'm practicing and a few times I went to hair follicles. Does anyone have pics for me to show me an example? Thanks for any help...

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I thin to the blue, meaning the skin turns from white to a blueish hue. On mine I can hold it up to a light and see light through it.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

It's a learning process. You'll eventually develop a "feel" for the thickness of our cape when you roll it between your hands. I advise people to "go to the blue" but I seldon do that myself. If you thin a well tanned hide that thin, you're withing micro milimeters of cutting into the hair root and follicle. After you've shaved it, if you have the thought "should I shave over that spot again", trust me here: DON'T!

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Also sometimes the skin will never turn blue due to a number of factors. If you try to go the blue there, you'll be to the air real quick with a hole. It takes experience. George is right, get the feel for it and getting it even is most important. The blue is a goal you can work toward. If you cut the hair roots, you have a good chance of that hair coming out later.

5. Second Mouse

Second Mouse New Member

Keri if you're new to a fleshing machine there is a really good series on youtube on set up and technique, I wish I had seen it many holes ago. I believe it's titled shaving101. Their are links somewhere on this forum but I can't seem to find them. Unless you have been given good instructions by someone knowledgeable this series is an outstanding reference.
    As far as your question, in my experience if you get it "to the blue" as much as your taxidermist brain tells you you should, even if you don't cut a hole it's gonna be really susceptible to tearing in that area when you pull or stretch......and it'll be like sewing toilet tissue, the cheap kind. I try not to flesh any thinner than would hold thread.

6. Riverland

Riverland New Member

WI gun killed and bow killed after the first week of Oct. skins don't shave to the "blue". You want an even thickness that allows your stretch back. Not necessarily a thinnness issue as much as evenly done. Takes time and patience. Tan up a couple backskins and experiment with your angles on how your blade is sharpened. A brand new blade cuts much different than one you have ran a hundred skins through. Running a fleshing machine is like golf. Some are natural some never get it and end up in the rhubarb alot.