1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Newb! WT Eye Critique

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Southern Blaze, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Southern Blaze

Southern Blaze New Member

Relatively new hobbyist here. 4-5 Deer a year. Looking for critique/opinions on eye finish and color. I struggle with an airbrush so I'm a little insecure about results.
    [​IMG]

2. Bulldog 32

Bulldog 32 New Member

For me the eye lid starts to far back in the eye. Also when shaping the eye lid. It looks like your eyelid gets untucked a little. Especially at the point where the eye lid comes off of the eye. When shaping try pulling skin down towards eye and shape clay instead of pushing up to shape clay.

3. Southern Blaze

Thanks for the tip.

4. J Cook

J Cook Cook Taxidermy

Color varies from where the deer came from.

5. Southern Blaze

I have learned that. I generally try to make a note on check in form and take pics of the specimen if relatively fresh. Most deer I have handled from La. and southern Ms, tend to be on the darker side of things. I guess I second guess myself sometimes. Only doing a few deer a year, it is hard to become proficient. Customers seem pleased and are returning but I also understand most don't know what they are looking at or for. Just want to do the best job I can. I like having opinions of the trained eye.

6. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Just add a little fullness to the eye lids and front corner, look a bit sharp, use a brush to tuck and smooth skin. And crease to far back.

7. Use reference photos of live white tail deer’s eye up close so you see all the bends, upper eye lid, etc. while mounting you’re deer.

Google in “live white tail deer eye close up pics” and you will see.

8. Southern Blaze

Thank you all for the feedback.