1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

rotten hides from mailing

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Skin Deep, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Skin Deep

Skin Deep Member

USA
    I sent off 3 hard to the tannery using USPS. I paid for 3 day shipping and for some reason it took a week and a half to get where I was going.

so now I am left with three unusable hides for customers. I was just wondering how others deal with this situation?

2. Don't use USPS

3. Skin Deep

Skin Deep Member

USA
    Well I just learned that one. Ugh

4. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Yeah perishables are not a good idea with USPS. Paid for 2nd day delivery twice with them and both times took four days. And that was 2 hours away!

Sorry for your loss!
    :(

5. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

UPS, it gets where you want and when. Never had a problem

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Same here. 2 day guaranteed USPS. Took four days and my turkey head was salvageable but not as good of quality as it was pretty stinky. I sent turkey heads by UPS 2 day and it got there still frozen on the day it was supposed to. Never had a problem with UPS.

7. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I like how everyone uses the phrase "2 day guaranteed USPS". USPS doesn't guarantee squat. It seems this exact thread is posted once a month. When are people going to learn?

8. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Cole, youre going to see this type of post more and more as the latest new taxidermy recruits send frozen skins to be processed. Im not knocking the guys who send them or those who offer the service, but to me, sending them frozen is so risky. You cant win. Pay for premium shipping...thats not guaranteed. Ship it premium shipping and it doesnt arrive on time and spoils...the shipper tells you that raw skins are not covered under any insurance. Like I said, we will be seeing this more and more.

9. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

X2 bill. Turn, flesh, salt is the answer to the OP's question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Sending skins un-tanned this time of the year is insane anyways. On the news tonight they were saying that UPS is missing their delivery deadlines on about 6% of the shipments. That may not seem like much, but if it is your skins, it is!

11. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

My cousin sent me a merriams turkey to Indiana from Colorado. It was sent guaranteed 2 day USPS also. It was a week and a half and I got a notice to come pick up a package from the Hazmat area of the postal hub. They refused to honor the guarantee because they said it was leaking. But I mentioned if it would have arrived by the guaranteed 2nd day it would have never leaked as it would have still been frozen. It was like talking to a wall. They will not take responsibility for anything. It will never be there fault.

12. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Like Cole said if you read the fine print USPS doesn't guarantee those delivery dates. I would never send a clients frozen anything in the mail, UPS, or Fed Ex.