1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

shark jaws

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by mike b, Dec 11, 2015.

1. I have a customer who wants a set just cleaned-I use beetles only-no whitening included-he will do that step-anything I need to worry about-how about cost??I normally do whitetail deer -and smaller skulls-also some black bear.
    Thanks Mike B

2. RWOOD

RWOOD New Member

Your beetles will eat his shark jaws. They are made of cartilage. I did a set one and it is a hand job only. Cut as much meat off as possible, position jaws open and dry in front of a fan, then I touched up any areas and crevices with various sanding drums on my dremmel. Then I hit the whole thing with multiple coats of non yellowing clear.

When I get an oddball job like that I just go to skulls unlimited and look up their prices. On the particular set I did, it priced out at 150/per skulls unlimited. It was a wholesale job for a guy I do a little work for so I charged him 100 and told him to charge the customer 150.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Good job with that set too. Yes, bugs will have a grand old time with shark jaws and all you will have left is loose teeth. Try using the Advanced Search on here and look for "Shark Jaws" "Shark jaws cleaning" or similar. There are some good posts on here and some are from some serious professionals that do this a lot. As Rwood stated, a majority of the cleaning will be by hand.

4. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

Yup, scrape by hand, then into peroxide for a few min, then out to dry in shape u want, once dry sand paper on the remaining meat. Easy as pie, just get in the correct shape before dry and don't leave in peroxide too long!!!

5. Thanks everyone for the information-I appreciate it!!!

6. TheSeaWench

TheSeaWench Member

CR
    I'd make sure to dry it inside with a fan like Rwood mentioned, and keep it out of the sun. Seems to dry it up too much and then they crumble.