1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Unusual raccoon skulls

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Pandion haliaetus, Dec 14, 2015.

1. I'd like to see some unusual raccoon skulls out there. I recently got done cleaning one where the lower jaw is actually attached to the top. I can post pictures tomorrow, it's too dark right now.

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Sounds like an odd one. Would love to see. Don't have any weird coon skulls though.

3. AH7

AH7 New Member

I'm not sure what you are talking about, but it is impossible for the jaw to actually be fused to the skull unless one of his friends was feeding him through a straw - not a normal behavior in raccoon societies.

4. Sea Wolf

Was thinking along the way of a badly broken jaw. Possible in some way that a section of the lower would heal attached to the upper? Want to see pictures 'cause I can't visualize it. :) I cleaned a wolf skull once that had been kicked in the head by a moose. Kick split the braincase open, lifted a chunk of skull up at an angle and it had started to heal. Had to have hurt a lot but it shows just how resilient some of these animals are.

5. Sorry if my wording was a little off up there, didn't mean to disappoint but it's just the little curls on the back of the jaw (under the hinge) grew longer than normal. Also I'm pretty new and I was just having too much trouble attaching an image. Maybe I could E-mail them to you?

6. RWOOD

RWOOD New Member

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,372297.msg2497846.html#msg2497846

7. Sea Wolf

You can put them on Photobucket for free, which is what I do. The pictures that show on here doing that are much better quality than through the site itself. If you want to email a picture, I can put it up for you. www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,372297

8. I think I'm just going to E-mail some to you, if you don't mind. Yesterday I spent a good 30 minutes or so trying to figure it out. Thanks

9. Sea Wolf

Below are the pictures sent to me. If you look at that link and just compare pictures to what you see on your screen when you go to the site it shouldn't be too hard. You set up a free account first and upload a couple of pictures. Then practice with the links you will see on the right when looking at a picture. :)

Coon skull pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. bobaloo11

bobaloo11 New Member

Yup, I never knew how to post pics, until I followed Sea Wolfs directions. She has taught me quite alot in the last month.. From bones to picture posting.

11. Seawolf, thank you so much for helping me. The world needs more people like you.

12. Sea Wolf

No it doesn't. Then we would all be crazy. :)

13. akvz

akvz New Member

Okay... this topic has been long dead... but I had to share because unusual raccoons are something i sort of ended up collecting. They have a penchant for being weird, maybe because they live so well in urban environments and can live off human refuse a bit better than a bobcat would. I dunno...

But I had to share a few. (I have 2 adult boars that have the same "locked" jaw that OP described-- reminds me of a badger or other mustelid jaw in how it's locked into place! I forgot to take pictures, though.)

[​IMG]
    Nice subadult male...

[​IMG]
    With a healing broken jaw!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I think being trapped was kind of a merciful option for this little guy. (For some reason I never got around to scrubbing the grave wax off. I guess I should do that)

And then a raccoon I purchased that still needs to be degreased (quite badly, at that):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hole in the upper palate, nasal conchae & vomer quite deformed, some interesting decay around the upper canine... I can only figure he got quite into it with another boar or even a dog. Seems to be mostly healed up, though there is a lot of loss of bone mass around the upper canine, my best guess is that it may have been a slow-growing infection or abscess as a result of the injuries.

14. Wow! I feel sorry for those guys. Those are some serious deformities. (Also grave wax is probably my least favorite part of the cleaning process, I understand)

15. Never heard of locked jaw in raccoons. It's more common in mustelids (at most extreme degree in sea otters).
    Have a female badger whose jaw remained locked initially after cleaning, but dislodged in degreasing process.

16. akvz

akvz New Member

In the case of my two boars, the locked jaw seems to be due to partial ossification of the cartilage at the mandibular fossa, as they're both quite aged adults, it seems to have grown out a bit. I can remove the locked jaw without much issue so it's not entirely like that in mustelids-- but there is an audible click when putting it back together.

17. Sea Wolf

Interesting bunch. Injuries possibly due to cohabitation with civilization. We, as a race, are not very wildlife friendly.