1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Customer refusing to pay

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by jason.fairbanks, Dec 15, 2015.

1. jason.fairbanks

jason.fairbanks Member

This is a first for me. I have a customer that will not pay the remaining balance on a deer that was completed back in June. I was finally contacted this week and the customer naturally wants to take their deer but only wants to pay a weekly payment of $50 until the balance has been paid off. Nope nope nope.

2. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

I have customers that I would do that for, but not too many.

3. jk

jk Member

This is why I have them fill out and sign a contract. I have no problems with them paying $50 a week and when the balance is paid they can have the deer. If they do not want to pay, take them to small claims court and get a judgement.

4. bowelk

bowelk Member

Nothing should ever leave the shop without being paid in full. Do payments if like, even charge an additional handling fee, but do release the mount without being paid for in full. At this point in the transaction, I would accept a postal money order or cash.

5. jason.fairbanks

jason.fairbanks Member

It has literally been months since I have heard from this guy so I'm not trusting him at all. Once the balance has been paid he can have his deer...not until then. All my customers literally cant wait till take their trophies home so I'm treating this guy as an anomaly.

6. They can pay for it but you keep position of the head. If you let them have the head, you are screwed out of the money.

Either have them sign that they are going to make payments on a regular basis and still you keep the head.

You could also give them a few self addressed envelopes, with payent dates and stamped. But still keep the head.

7. tem

tem Well-Known Member

hang it on your wall to show customers what a good job you do.

8. Just don't let him have it before you get your money.

9. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

Ditto!

10. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Ditto again. Anything that ever left my shop without full payment never got paid off.

11. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    I would send him a certified letter telling him as of this such date your deer will be sold for balance due,. Or tell him after the first of the year there will
    be a storage fee for every week it hangs there. You have been playing his game for 6 months, now its time to play yours.

12. I have sent a letter and told them , '' if not paid in full in 7 days '' I will turn the invoice over to my attorney for collection, It has worked for me,, In small claims court you can win the judgement, BUT it's up to you to get them to pay, at that point you put a lean on their drivers license and when it comes time to renew they have to pay you or no drivers license, might take a while,, our renewals are good for 10 years,,lol

13. jk

jk Member

Storage fee of $25 a month after 30 days, required deposit before any work started, etc. All of these are on the contract that they sign when they bring in the work. Makes your job easier. FYI, I have never had to charge the storage fee, I try to take the high road and waive this fee when they come in and bring cash. Just want them to pay their bill and pick up their work. That way I come out looking like the good guy not a jerk.

J

14. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

Send a letter, charge him storage and explain banks make payment arrangements and your not a bank. 30 days sell it for what's owed and NEVER allow him in your shop again. Businesses make money not always friends. Good Luck

15. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Im not trying to embarrass anyone, but you cant just throw a "7 days or else" letter in the mail, and expect that it will hold in court. Check your county's regs on this. They vary. If you send registered letter, also send it by regular mail. Ask an attorney to explain why I told you this, youll like it.

The best way is to be flat out blunt. Get the guy, and tell him this is your way of making a living, and you must be paid. Tell him he hasnt shown his face since it was completed in June...provided you gave him written notice of completion. Remember, they cant treat you like a business, unless you run it like one. Tell him since hes been awol since June, theres just no way you can extend him further, and certainly taking the head prior to final payment is not an option. Suggest he borrow the money from someone he knows, as you cant lend it to him.

I personally would hang it on the showrrom wall with a FOR SALE sign under it, if its allowed in your state. You wont actually sell it, but... That way all his buddies will get the news back to him asap...he will find a way to pay you then...

16. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I like the for sale idea. Good advice Yox!

17. jorgy

jorgy Member

I let one leave the shop without full payment once on a promise. Two years went by without a penny on the balance. He actually came back with another piece this year. I let him come, added the previous balance to his deposit, and dropped it on him after he committed to the work. Yep, got paid for both.

18. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Bullwhacker, you are very fortunate that u ever saw that guy again.

19. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

This is why you accept credit cards. This is why you have a short contract on your invoices the customer signs. Be nice, be fair be firm. Never let anyone take something without paying.

20. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I also let one go without full payment and 4 years later he came in with another deer to work on. I said no problem. I need balance due on the previous mount and full payment on the new one and he gave it to me and I did his mount. Never let one go again.