1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What color of white paint for skulls?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by IAtaxi, Dec 15, 2015.

1. IAtaxi

IAtaxi Member

I got stuck with a fix it project I really didn't want on a euro mount. Just curious if you guys have a special color/brand for white painting on skulls? Would prefer airbrush lacquers out of taxidermy catalogs but would be open to a menards brand spray can. I never had much luck in the past getting the right color. I use to use life tone off white but wasn't really happy with it.

Thanks

2. bowelk

bowelk Member

try wildlife colors ivory white. almost a dead ringer for real bone color.

3. AH7

AH7 New Member

I think it is safe to say that NONE of us on here would advocate painting a skull under normal circumstances.

However, if there is some repair that you need to blend, then the best thing to do (in my experience) is to get a basic white (e.g., titanium), a yellowish and a brownish (stuff in the sienna, umber and burnt sienna and burnt umber range) and sometimes a bit of black (for colors that might tend toward gray) and blend appropriately. In the end, bone isn't really one color at all!

If you are looking to paint the whole thing (I shudder at that prospect), then whites in the "off" white, ivory and "bone" work.

4. IAtaxi

IAtaxi Member

Yeah I understand the beetle/bleached look is the route to go This is a skull some other guy did that cracked into pieces. Apoxie is involved so no other choices.

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Lifetone pure white lacquer is what I have used to blend repairs and it worked good.

6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I do not paint but Michael P on here swears by the cheap Dollar Store white paint. Soaks in just right apparently, is a good color and doesn't hide the texture of the bone. Though I do not know how it reacts with Apoxie.

7. Kevin Halle

Kevin Halle Well-Known Member

Exactly!! I use the cheapest white no name spray paint you can find. I don't know why but it works the best. I do only use it when I absolutely have to. Like epoxy repairs, etc.

8. marshtaxi

marshtaxi New Member

utah
    Wildlife colors touch up white and ivory. usually airbrush on the white and then blend the ivory over it to tone it down just a touch. Remember to put a texture on your apoxie otherwise it will look to smooth and fake.

9. marshtaxi

marshtaxi New Member

utah
    Wildlife colors touch up white and ivory. usually airbrush on the white and then blend the ivory over it to tone it down just a touch. Remember to put a texture on your apoxie otherwise it will look to smooth and fake.

10. IAtaxi

IAtaxi Member

Just tried the wildlife colors ivory color.....it was close but almost two yellowish IMO. This is why I hate working with bone and hate fixing others mistakes. Trying to decide to stick with it or not.

11. I use ( kilz) on them. You wont have to worry about any thing bleeding through.
    Its a stainblocker blocker.
    I find it to the right color not to yellow or eye blinding white.