1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Classic degreaser's usage? difference?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by gujume, Dec 16, 2015.

1. gujume

gujume New Member

Korea
    I think and read The Classic deagreser are Dawn/water, Ammonia, Acetone.

And I think they have minute differences usage. I read many post about Degreasing. -> Use them by turns// When old stain use acetone// When oil Embedded, Dawn/water is effective...etc.

But, I don't know clearly about differences yet :'( Is it just Feeling or Experience? But, distinctly they have difference characteristic..

How can I choose appropriate Degreaser in many situations?

2. RWOOD

RWOOD New Member

Usually dawn/heated water around 115-120 will do the trick. Multiple water changes when the water become cloudy over time. Sometimes a soak in acetone is needed for stubborn stains. Acetone is reserved for the most stubborn stains but is hard to use on large skulls because of expense, it readily evaporates, and is dangerous to use.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

As above. Almost always go for cheap first before you sink cash money into acetone. Sometimes, I have used all three one one skull and gone back and forth between a couple. All three seem to work differently. Acetone will get some grease out but still leave some behind. But that grease now acts differently and a long soak in Dawn/water or ammonia may take it out where it wasn't working before. In most cases the Dawn and water mix works well. It takes a little time but it does a good job without damaging the bone. Try to avoid the blue Dawn. On a rare occasion it will turn out a pastel blue skull for unknown reasons. Fixable but it takes time I don't want to spend.