1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

After 42 years success!

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Ted, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Ted

Ted Member

Maybe it was just dumb luck but I think I finally learned how to get a nice looking face on a bird. I was mounting a ruffed grouse and I Bondoed the neck to the head and just used enough bondo to attach the wire to the skull. I did not put any bondo on the lower jaw. I put some bondo in the eye sockets and used clay for the rest. A little clay on the jaw and turn the head and it looked absolutely perfect when I reversed the skin back over. Don't bondo the jaw in place. First, it seems the bottom bill is always just a little off and second if you leave the jaw loose you can open the mouth and add caulk or a little cotton later.

Then I stood the feathers up to make the ring around the neck and they made a perfect circle. Am I dreaming? I also shoved a wet small, loose wad of excelsior up the back between the skin and the form and that worked too.

I've mounted a dozen or so ruffed grouse and never got one to make a nice ring.

Just wanted to share a couple things that worked.

2. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

Thanks Ted.

I have my first 3 in the freezer yet to mount.
    This tip may come in handy.

Dan