1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

From skeleton to clay - a young coyote

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Amy, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Amy

Amy Mammal artist

Not a taxidermy mount, but this forum is quiet enough as it is, so I'll post it here.
    My foray into the world of sculpting. A juvenille coyote, 3 1/8 x 17 x 27.

Carcass with the large areas of meat removed

[​IMG]

It was pickled, wired and dried and a carcass cast head attached. Zip ties help to hold the bones in shape against the wires as it dries, and a plywood cutout supports the spine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Foam is applied to the large areas

[​IMG]

More foam

[​IMG]

A carcass tracing helps at this point, as well as many measurements that were taken prior to stripping the meat from the bones.

[​IMG]

Head is rough sculpted in

[​IMG]

Almost done. I have a heat lamp overhead, and keep my clay inside an electric blanket, to keep things easy to work with

[​IMG]

Finished sculpture

[​IMG]

2. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

great work amy

3. That's slicker than s#it! Thanks for sharing.

4. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

That's cool Amy, thanks for sharing it with us..

5. That's awesome, I always wanted to try sculpting but always felt a little overwhelmed not really knowing where and how to start a sculpt. I always admire your work so thanks for sharing:)

6. Gurneyjockey

Gurneyjockey Member

Very nice, thanks for sharing

7. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

Nice job
    Ralph

8. nate

nate Active Member

Thats very nice.. t

9. Your a very talented young lady.

10. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

Nice work Amy and a great photo essay ! Are you going to keep it as an art piece or mold it ? I have a few that I've never had molded. Either way it's a great accomplishment. Don't stop now !

11. Amy

Amy Mammal artist

Thank you, I am glad you all enjoyed seeing the process. I always found it to be a bit of a mystery but I learned most of this when I went to Vic Heinker's seminar at the HQ show. It was definitely a little daunting getting started at first, but I just had fun with it! I think my biggest misconception was the skeleton - I thought it had to be cleaned and re-articulated much like a museum piece! Lol - that would take forever!! Just cleaning the most of of the meat off and pickling, but keeping the bones attached together, made a lot more sense.

Brian, as of now I'm just planning on keeping it as an art piece. I don't know the first thing about molding this type of stuff. Perhaps someone else may be interested in it in someday, but I mainly just did this one for fun. Not many people would mount a coyote this size. Then again, for the handful that do, there isn't much available.

12. Allie

Allie Member

Love your new profile pic, Amy. La Belle et La Bete!

13. dplais7124

dplais7124 Active Member

Awesome job Amy. Sculpting is something I've been wanting to try.

14. kjdouble

kjdouble Member

Nice work Amy,
    I'm planning on attending Vic's this year at Big Rock. Such a wealth of knowledge.
    KJ

15. vic h

vic h Member

huh???????

16. Amy

Amy Mammal artist

You're doing a study cast seminar this year, Vic, not a sculpting one - correct?

17. RTF

RTF Active Member

Thats some slick work there young lady. Awesome job

18. sarahdj

sarahdj Active Member

Thanks for posting this! I've been very interested in but highly intimidated by sculpting. I have a couple things tucked away for when I get my nerve up, I'll definitely keep your post high on my list of things to keep on hand when I do!

19. vic h

vic h Member

Amy, Yes I'll be doing my seminar on making death cast and other means of reference. I will bring a clay model in progress so be sure to
    bring your tools so you can fix it for me. As you probably know my seminars tend to veer off track a little so who knows what will happen! Vic

20. Nice work Amy, I started sculpting my own fox heads , but haven't touched them for several months now