1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bluegill blank help

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by JEJ, Dec 22, 2015.

1. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    Special request here. My 5 year old son really wants to take something to our state show this year and we have been discussing many different ideas. Well he decided he wants to "color" his own bluegill mount. I only do mammals and birds so have no real experience in the fish area. Anyway, I am looking to buy a bluegill blank if anyone has any available? I know supply companies do but was hoping to possibly find a cheaper one on here, maybe a blemished one or something. Obviously would need fins and eyes as well. He wants to color it with his markers. I'm not sure who is more excited, him about doing it or me watching him do it! Anyway, if anyone has one they'd be willing to sell let me know, if not I'll just end up getting one from a supply company.
    Thanks.

2. What size?

3. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

Good luck to your son......Randy can certainly hook you up.

4. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    Doesn't necessarily matter, thinking it might be a little easier for him if it's on the bigger side, but we don't need a specific size to replicate. He catches them in our pond all different sizes! Let me know your thoughts. If you want to discuss live let me know and I'll PM you my number.
    Thanks

5. jakecs

jakecs Member

I found one for my son at Bev's Fish. It was $45. Needs alittle prep but not to bad. Does have the eyes if he wants to color or can drumel them out and put flex eyes in. Hope this helps.

6. CCarlson

CCarlson Active Member

I have a 6.5 inch pumpkinseed blank he can have, if that's not too small?

7. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    Sorry, with the holidays I haven't been one here for awhile. I'll get back to those who replied to this request. Thanks.

My son has been asking everyday if I ordered his bluegill yet, loving his enthusiasm!

8. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    Sorry, with the holidays I haven't been one here for awhile. I'll get back to those who replied to this request. Thanks.

My son has been asking everyday if I ordered his bluegill yet, loving his enthusiasm!

9. Rizzo

Rizzo Member

When will we see his fish

10. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    He was a happy boy

Attached Files:

11. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    Thanks for all the help here.
    I was a proud dad! I didn't touch a single color on either fish, he did it all. All I did was seal it between colors. He also made the rocks and base. I helped attach the fish

Attached Files:

12. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    Better pics

Attached Files:

13. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    Better pics

Attached Files:

14. fltrn

fltrn Member

Fantastic, tell your son great job.

15. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    this is what it is all about,
    The smile on a child

Carl

16. Rizzo

Rizzo Member

He looks very happy.

17. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

Tell him congratulations he did a awesome job !!! Love the smile !!
    Tommy

18. CCarlson

CCarlson Active Member

Great work little buddy!

19. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    Thanks all. He was happier even than he looked as he was being a little shy. He is hooked for sure, already planning his piece for next year! I was a proud dad for sure. I didn't get my piece done for the show because I wanted to make sure he had his done, I knew that was the right decision and was proven when I saw the excitement on his face when we first walked into the showroom. Maybe there is hope for fish coming out of my shop in the future instead of just mammals and birds I do!

20. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

Great job there JEJ jr.......