1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Anyone still have the first fish they ever mounted?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by deeter73, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Hi All, I thought this would be an interesting post, who still has the first fish they ever mounted? Mine has been hanging on the wall for probably over 20 years now. I guess this is where it all started for me, my first Smallmouth bass. Every once and a while I think I will toss it but then I think its nice to see where I started compared to where I'm at now. Not the nicest mount to say the least but I do remember I was quite proud of it at the time. Here's a pic, would love to see other group members first fish as well.

Attached Files:

2. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

No, but .....

I do not have my first one (too many moves in the military - things get lost), but here is one on the wall that I did from 40 years ago. It is still on the wall at my mom's house.

[​IMG]

:)

Kerby...

3. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

I have it but no pics (try to take one).......but this depicts my expression years later wondering what I was thinking...lol

Attached Files:

4. Oh come on now Kerby, that fish can't be 40 years old, skin mounts don't last I've heard more than once! ;)

I know what you mean Brian, I still use that expression every now and again! Just yesterday actually, carving a body for a salmon, guess my head wasn't quite in the game, carved way too much ended up tossing and starting over ...i was not impressed to say the least. :eek:

5. This will be a fun topic ;) My first skinmount was a 7 lb Salmon my son caught. I was quite proud of it initially, but after a few months it resembled a shrivelled wind sock . Couldnt bear to look at it anymore, gave it to my young son who happily used it as a baseball bat in the back yard. ;D

6. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Real Skins ......

That picture was taken 40 years ago. I will take that same picture when I am back in Kansas in March.

:)

Kerby...

7. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

lost the fish somewhere along the way... still have the photo.. 17 yrs old, and ready to conquer the world.

Attached Files:

8. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

My dog ate it. I was 15 or so. I guess it wasn't the best fleshing job on that first one.

9. mayermark

mayermark M&M Taxidermy

first fish. my brother still has it. good reminder of where I started and where I am now.

Attached Files:

10. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

No, and I'm glad I don't!

11. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Got my First fish, first bird, and had to dispose of my first deer 20 years ago
    Plaster head 2x4 and wood wool treated with arsenic.
    Will try to post pics

All done when I was 14 years old done in 1972

Would never part with my first fish no matter how terrible it is
    carl

12. den007

den007 Active Member

I will have to search through some old DVD's that managed to survive a house fire. I saved it for a long time……brown trout colored with automotive rattle can bronze and pastels for the spots. It really sucked!

Jimmy………young folks should not be on steroids! How did you get a full beard at age 10? LOL

13. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Nope....a trout filled with plaster laced sawdust and painted using the "wash" method. IT REALLY SUCKED!! THEN IT VOTED FOR A DEMOCRAT so I used it for fuel in the wood stove. JL

14. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Sadly my dad has my first hung in the mudroom. I've begged him to throw it away to no avail. There's no way in hell I'm posting a picture of that sad excuse.

15. Not my first fish, but my first Muskie caught & mounted around 1974. Still hanging in my Dad's (unheated) garage.

Attached Files:

16. My first mounted fish cat destroyed. Here is first replica (europ. perch) from plaster mold.

Attached Files:

17. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

Didn't exactly get the best schooling out of the gate....No I don't have it any more, can't say as I miss it much either. Sure is amazing to see how far some have come since their first one.

Best, Steve

Attached Files:

18. Great pics guys, really is cool to see how our we started and where we are now with our mounts. We really can't help but get a bit better with each and every mount we do by learning from our mistakes...hell I still make them...often! George you really have me curious, you sure there's no way you'd post you first fish? Would love to see it ;D

19. Now this is the stuff dreams are made of.... Love'em!!! Congrats to all that have shared there works of art. I think my first mount got carried off by bugs... Buried in the backyard ... Dug up by the neighbors dog.... And the rest is a scooby doo mystery!