1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Freezer Burned Cape.....Help

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Second Mouse, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Second Mouse

Second Mouse New Member

I have a cape that has been freezer burned/dried, looking for advice on how to handle it. The hide between the antlers and the last 1/3 of the ears are the worst. I managed to get the cape off the carcass with no damage but could only turn the ears about 2/3 of the way. I'm wondering, if I go ahead and flesh it and put it into the pickle would it rehydrate enough to work with? I appreciate any insight.

2. Do you have a pressure washer? If not turn what you can and put it in the pickle. you may need a syringe and inject the the dry area, just keep working it is will soften.
    Skin a little more as it softens.

3. Second Mouse

Second Mouse New Member

Thanks John, I do flesh with a pressure washer, except using a mini around the face. I think I am gonna do that, flesh and get it into pickling and work what it lets me.

4. jorgy

jorgy Member

Stop Rot

5. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

Try to inject warm water into the ears on the back side in a couple places. I use stop rot for this with good success but if you don't have any I use water and sometimes a bit of soap in it. Once you get the liquid into a spot you can work it around the area using your fingers to put pressure on it and spread it out some.