1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fawn Skull?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by xxohmycaptainxx, Dec 26, 2015.

1. xxohmycaptainxx

xxohmycaptainxx Member

Anyone got any experience cleaning White Tailed Deer fawn skulls? I have one that's been in my freezer now since early this past summer and I'd really like to get it cleaned so it can go on the shelf with the rest of the "family". I have baby ungulates that have been beetle cleaned, a Sitatunga and a Black Sable Antelope, but I really don't like the way they came out and how they couldn't really be whitened up nice and shiny. I've been thinking of maceration but I'm worried that I'd have no hope of putting the skull back together. You guys have any ideas? If I should go with maceration, do you have any diagrams or pictures for putting fawns back together??

Any help is appreciated. I need to start clearing out space and I wanna start with this little baby.

2. Hmmm... I just did a very young deer, I'd call it a fawn for sure. I beetled it, then degreased, and whitened with vol 40 and basic white. To be honest, I thought it cleaned up very well and much faster than normal. It was almost white coming out of the beetles and maybe only degreased for 2 weeks. After whitening, it was almost flawless which is rare for me lol. It was so young that the back teeth weren't even in yet. I could see them but the jaw line was still closed over top of them. Skull seemed to get soft during degreasing a little, but when it dried it was fine.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

If you beetle, soak the skull in cold water for a couple of days first before degreasing. It will get a lot of the blood out. Same as for maceration. Clean the flesh really well and then soak in cold water for a couple of days to leech out blood. If you macerate, let it be and don't keep stirring it up. The parts will be a little less prone to coming apart that way. If this is a real young fawn, expect it to come apart if you macerate it. When you go to degrease it, use Zip ties on it to hold it together.

4. xxohmycaptainxx

xxohmycaptainxx Member

Its not too young. I'm thinking it was at least a few months old. Its incisors are fully erupt, not sure if they're like that from birth though, and most of its molars were visible through the gumline before skinning and after skinning the molars are very visible with the tips fully exposed, they're just not fully erupt. Without the gum in the way the majority of the molars would be visible. Like the teeth are mostly erupted from the bone they just had to get through the gumline. I'm not sure if that helps with aging.

From what it sounds like it seems beetles are the best option.. I wanted to avoid beetles as I can't really keep them, I have an enormous dried insect collection that attracts dermestids like mad, so I'll probably end up sending it off to a friend. I really wanted to try and clean it myself.. Do either of you have diagrams for white tail fawn skulls? Even if it falls apart a bit I'd prefer maceration and trying to clean it myself if possible.