1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lions

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by AH7, Dec 30, 2015.

1. AH7

AH7 New Member

Can you believe how much money people are trying to get for them before they become protected?! For instance, not picking on any listing in particular... ahem... but someone could pull most of the teeth out of a skull and try to get more than $600 for it!

Crazy.

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Saw that. $600 for a $300 or less skull. People are interpreting this all in the wrong way and jumping at what is a false interpretation. In the meantime, they don't sell anything or sell something to a fool. Skull is worthless without the teeth and fake teeth do not make up for the value. Fake molars as well? I don't think so.

3. Yeah, that's certainly one of the things I dislike about the hobby (and many hobbies in general)... the predatory monetization of it. People that are more interested in pulling a buck than maintaining any level of integrity. Sure, why sell a lion skull for $1000 when you can sell the four canines for $150 each and the skull for $600 and destroy it's actual value to turn an extra $200 profit? Makes perfect sense! >.>

4. bowelk

bowelk Member

Simply "supply and demand" -- take away the supply, and you can demand more money...............and get it!

5. AH7

AH7 New Member

Hmmmm. Another way to think about it is that in a few days they can't sell it at all! Looks like they might be sitting on a supply for which there IS no legal demand - unless they can sell their trash for huge prices right now.

With that said, I'm happy for the law change. Aside for what it means for the conservation of lions, the more protected something is, the easier I can get it! I have more leopards and tigers than I can handle, but haven't gotten a good lion in quite some time. Ah to be a University professor!

6. Sea Wolf

Yeah ... but, if you ever retire or leave .. don't all the cool specimens stay with the University as their property? :)

7. Lupen

Lupen New Member

I actually purchased mine just a week before the news... And I know the skull you're talking about. It is quite crazy.

8. AH7

AH7 New Member

SW, what are you doing with your collection when you are done? Some of my pieces belong to me and maybe a couple of those will go to my kids if they are interested, but the rest are going to a university anyway. I'm not big on the "ownership" aspect of all of this. Certainly that is less thrilling than the fact that I get sent whole silverback gorillas. You wouldn't trade places with me?

9. Sea Wolf

Actually, when I am *done* my collection will go to an educational facility as well. It looks like I will be relocating to Anchorage and, as my collection will go with me, I really did like the idea of the library up there that allows specimens to be checked out like a book. Possibly also the University of Alaska or other museum up there. Here, the local museum is only interested in local native specimens and I have a lot of stuff from around the world. Yeah, just to be able to work on the things you do ... I'd trade places. :)

10. AH7

AH7 New Member

The museum at the University of Alaska is a fantastic place. I'm planning to get up there for some research at some point. I'll have to drop you a line if I do.

11. Vkvz

Vkvz New Member

Also depends if you have a permanent position or not. I don't, and while I've been able to work on some supercool specimens I'm not taking them with me when I switch lab. Can't complain though, I've been able to keep just as much equally cool specimens for myself :D

12. nuclearjunky

nuclearjunky Member

On skulls unlimited page, real lion skulls are offered for 2000-2500$ seems extremly high for me. Maybe the Price has become so high because they will be harder to get in Future?

13. AH7

AH7 New Member

SU is ALWAYS the most expensive place to get something! (They are also the best at cleaning things - jealous of whatever they do!)

14. It's my dream to have a lion skull but sadly I've never been able to afford one. Now I'm trying desperately to find a decently priced one. I' thought about contacting big cat rescues and such within my state, but I don't even know where id even begin.