1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

trapper dried skins

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Jackson1814, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Does anyone know how long an air dried/trapper dried coon skin will last. Nothing else done to it. Just skinned, fleshed, stretched, air dried and stored that way. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

If stored properly maybe a year, they are very greasy and prone for grease burn.

3. krank

krank New Member

I have fur that is from last season that is still sellable so that's a year. The fur buyers keep them in a climate controlled facility waiting for auction.
    Quite honestly though I would not trust that too much and get right on tanning. That hair slippage is kind of a wildcard.

4. Thanks guys! I've got a guy asking how long they will keep just air dried. Also, fur buyers won't take them salted or tanned, will they?

5. krank

krank New Member

Furbuyers want them fleshed and stretch to regulation width. No salt and they don't deal in tanned fur.

6. Thanks Krank. That's what I thought, I just wanted to make sure. Thanks again.

7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Tell the person to sell them now, fur buyers can tell hold over fur that was fleshed and offer less for them anyway.

8. krank

krank New Member

With all that said....I do cheat a little. When I dry bobcat, I rub a little borax in the arm pits and on the face (backside) Get it inside the nose and ears and lip. Then I turn the cat fur side out for final drying. That borax is insurance on spoilage and buyers don't dock you for it. What doesn't absorb falls away.