1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mallard Duck Prep

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by redbluff77, Jan 4, 2016.

1. redbluff77

redbluff77 New Member

Utah
    Hi guys,

Can someone please tell me what the best way would be to store a huge frozen mallard in the freezer 5-12 months before taxidermy? I hear wrap the bird tight with ziplock bags, or triple bag it tight with a few grocery bags and tape. Also, what type of bag should I use if I want to freeze the bird in a bag of frozen water? Thanks

2. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

I'm sure someone with more experience than me will chime in, but what I would do is wrap damp paper towels around the feet. Tuck the head either under a wing or next to a wing...this is to protect the neck against breakage once frozen. Then use s good plastic bag and wrap the bird. Use tape to get and hold out as much air as possibe. DO NOT put the bird in a frost free freezer.

As far as freezing one whole in water? I have no idea. I know once it's skinned, wheeled and washed you can do that, but I have no idea if you can do that with a whole duck. It would take up a ton of room for sure.

Tonight ( I'm assuming it's fresh since you posted this an hour ago) put it in the fridge. Tomorrow by noon hopefully more will respond to your question and you can decide and execute then.

3. nate

nate Active Member

Put in a 2 gallon zip loc "freezer" bag and try to get most of the air out before zipping it. Then put that in another one. It'll keep for a long time. Same goes for once its skinned fleshed and washed. Through it in a freezer bag with some water and freeze it.

4. Depending on the amount of freezer space that you have take a 2 gallon freezer bag and put your bit=rd in it and run water in in until it covers the bird. Then freeze like that; no air will get to it and you should not have to worry about freezer burn!

5. bhymel

bhymel Member

Vacuum seal, just like food. If you have one or know someone who does. will keep for years.

Billy

6. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

If you use a vacuum sealer make sure you protect the feet - especially if you use those textured bags.
    [​IMG]

7. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

Wow . Nancy did those marks come out of the feathers and feet

8. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I wrap the bird in several pages of newspaper and tape it with plain masking tape. Then I freeze it for a day or two, as is. When frozen I put it in a vacuum freezer bag and put it in the freezer until I'm ready to mount it even if it's a year from now. The reason I freeze the bird ( or animal ) before vacuuming is that the machine will draw blood out of the mouth...nose...and every bullet hole. This wont happen to a frozen bird. The several wraps of newspaper will absorb any small leaks and won't get on the feathers. It also protects the feet and feathers from the markings left by the waffle of the freezer bag. Good luck...JL

9. nate

nate Active Member

I can tell by the side pocket on the opposite side thats a dandy ringbill Nancy!! LOL

10. Ted

Ted Member

For Mallards, I skin, flesh, wash, tan, wash, rinse, blow dry, start to mount, rip the skin sew it, rip another whole, sew, sew, get frustrated and throw the skin in the garbage and swear never to mount another fat Mallard.

Hope that helps!

11. pgust

pgust New Member

JL - Don't you worry about the newsprint transferring onto any of the light colored feathers? I prefer paper towels.
    For the smaller ducks, After putting them in a water filled ziplock, I place the bag in a deep rectangular ice cube holder (not the tray) to freeze . They store nicely and it assures the entire bird is covered.

Attached Files:

12. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Sorry Shawn, - I just now saw your question.

The marks came out of the feathers with no issues at all but they never did completely come out of the feet. They weren't nearly as obvious after the wash/dry cycle and being injected, but a faint trace of them still remained in a few places. The customer was happy with it, though, especially after I showed him this photo. (And he learned a lesson about vacuum-sealing his birds!)

And yeah, Nate . . . it was an awesome, silver-sided specimen. Those marks made me sick . . .