1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Purple Gallinule

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by DakotahRose, Jan 5, 2016.

1. DakotahRose

DakotahRose Member

Looking for anyone down south who might have some purple gallinules stashed in the freezer they may be willing to part with and ship to iowa...

2. DakotahRose

DakotahRose Member

Bump

3. DakotahRose

DakotahRose Member

Bump

4. goosehunter51

goosehunter51 Member

I've tried to find a location in the south where I could hunt them like Louisiana but have been told that they move out of our country before the hunting season opens. I've been told that they see them fishing during the Summer but then they leave. If someone knows something differently and knows of an opportunity to hunt them, then I'll do that and gift you one! I've hunted the common gallinule in Louisiana and saw lots of them but I never saw a Purple Galinule.

5. DakotahRose

DakotahRose Member

I have a friend in Louisiana who says he sees them in season however season was over before he knew I wanted one...

6. goosehunter51

goosehunter51 Member

I'll make a deal with you. You connect me with him or her and I'll set up a hunt with them. If I get more than one, I'll gift you one. I'm a hunter but also a collector and don't mind taking a trip for one or two nice birds.

7. fowlweatherfowler

fowlweatherfowler Well-Known Member

NW Ohio
    Only place I have seen them is in FL and they are protected. I'm not sure on the other states but haven't had much luck. I too would be interested and willing to pay to hunt them and rail.

8. goosehunter51

goosehunter51 Member

Fowlweatherfowler was absolutely right! I was duck hunting on Lake Okeechobee this morning and guess what I saw? Not one but two Purple Gallinule! I was ready to pick up my gun but waited for my guide to check the regs and unfortunately there is no open season on them. I could have shot the common gallinule because we saw lots of them but I already have a pair of them mounted It was tough because I have wanted one for years. They were beautiful!