1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Why it's good to learn earliners and bondo both

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by boarhunter67, Jan 5, 2016.

1. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I started out using bondo only. After taking classes from Rick Carter and Bill Yox, I primarily use ear liners because I personally can get a much better ear. However, I still have to break out the bondo once in a while. I was mounting a corsican ram this week and was ready to do the ears. I usually buy things several weeks in advance, sometimes months, so I can order in bulk. Usually I have time to test fit a hide on a form and do all the form prep, but I usually wait to do anything with the ears until the day of. Yesterday I went to do the ears and when I opened the bag of earliners. Both were left earliners, and one was a different size. If I didn't know how to do bondo ears, I would have had to freeze the hide until I could reorder correct ones. Because I can also do bondo ears, I just carried on and it looks great. It always pays to learn how to do things multiple ways.

2. Good point! Diversity always pays off !!

3. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch I hunt therefore I am.

Plus where are you going to find XLG Muntjac, Cape Fox or Chupacabra earliners anyway? Gotta know em both for sure.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Absolutely, HOWEVER, you'd have been SOL if you'd taken the cartilage out already.

5. Gurneyjockey

Gurneyjockey Member

How's that George? I don't make a practice of doing that, but I have done it quite a few times with great results. I'm just curious what the issues are.

Justin

6. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I actually don't take the cartilige out until after I've test fitted so I was lucky.

7. George

Gurney, I suspect your idea of "great results and mine are different. Unless you have an inner ear mold, getting the shape in a snotbag filled with Bondo is going to be nearly impossible. There are several complex concave/convex areas toward the inner ear canal that just won't work if you're trying to mold it by hand.

8. RTF

RTF Active Member

Good thing I have some then George

Attached Files:

9. Gurneyjockey

Gurneyjockey Member

I do have molds like Mr Harring, along with others that I have cast which I use to achieve great results. Again, not usually my go to technique, but done carefully, works just fine.

10. How well do the bondo ear tools work. I've been thinking about buying some but wasn't sure.

11. George

Thanx guys. That's the trick.

Let me tell you about Bondo. It takes practice and talent to do them right. If you screw up, you can take the back out.