1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Commercial tanned cape / Eye Question

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by austin_0_4, Jan 8, 2016.

1. austin_0_4

austin_0_4 New Member

In my self taught taxidermy adventure I have only done a handful of whitetail deer so far. I started with Krowtann and had also sent 5 capes which I felt to be nice capes out to the tannery. Im not looking for the endless debate of Krowtann vs commercial tan! I feel like each one, when done right, turns out a good mount....especially for an amateur like me! So when I mounted my Krowtann capes, the skin around the eye turned out great and retained great color. Just the other day I finally mounted one that had been tanned commercially. I love the feel of the skin and over-all it seems to be a superior product, however around they eyes there were a few smaller areas where that dark brown top layer just seemed to fall right off on the commercially tanned capes. If you look at the pic I have you can see it mostly in the crease leading to the tear duct. Im not too worried, seems like it will be a pretty easy fix. Regardless, I wanted to reach out and see if this is typical or commercial tanned capes or not?? Maybe its something I did?? After I got them back from the tannery I shaved them down, did final detail fleshing, measured and threw them back into the freezer to order forms and such.
    [​IMG]

2. I think this is fairly common with commercially dry tanned capes. It should finish up just fine.

3. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Over soaking in the rehydrating step can cause this. Also, leaving it in the refrigerator for long periods of time will make this more likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Nothing a brush and oil paints, or airbrush can't fix. Have to do it all the time. Good luck...JL

5. bowelk

bowelk Member

Not uncommon with virtually any tanning process I've seen. Just a little epidermis slip, and just as someone told you earlier, nothing a little brushing and airbrushing won't fix. Good luck!

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I had that happen on an entire black bear head. Black hair coming out of a white head looked pretty weird. It colored up real nice using skin dye in the air brush. The nose pad also slip off. No nodules, just white smooth skin. A little apoxie and a texture pad and paint took care of it.

When a nose pad on a black tail buck slipped off into my hand, I just glued it back on.

7. austin_0_4

austin_0_4 New Member

Thanks for the input guys! I figured it wasn't anything terribly unusual. On to another step in the learning process!

8. I spray a little stop rot around eyes when I'm fleshing and I never get that anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk