1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dieing feathers white ?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Fowltaxi1986, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Fowltaxi1986

Fowltaxi1986 New Member

I have a snow goose an blood has stained feather an there are a few black spots on breast I used whinks rust stain remover to clean most of the blood out is there a way to die the feathers back white ? I did a search and came up with nothing

2. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

did you dry it yet? if it looks a little yellow wet...it will be white when dry.....peroxide or oxi clean can be used but be careful and rinse/neutralize

3. Fowltaxi1986

Fowltaxi1986 New Member

Yes iv dried it an can still see a light pink tent to were the blood was

4. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Always, ALWAYS scrub blood spots first with detergent and, if necessary, use a toothbrush or even a finely serrated knife if you need to scrape away big clots. On a waterfowl you should never need a stain remover to get bloodstains out. (Mineral stains are another matter.)
    Waterfowl feathers repel water and they also repel blood - just not quite as well. If you bleach a blood stain without physically removing it first then you will still have the protein and fat from the blood left behind. Bleach wont touch that, and it will now be a lot harder to scrub it out because it will be harder to see.
    Still, that's what you have to do. Get it wet, apply a few drops of Dawn, let it soak for a few minutes and then scrub the daylights out of it with a soft toothbrush. Check it carefully under good light and repeat if you have to. Rinse it VERY well, and then dry it and re-groom it.

5. Fowltaxi1986

Fowltaxi1986 New Member

Thanks for the advice much appreciated was able to get the blood out but I think the light pinkish brown spots are mineral stains any advice on removing them to get it back white ?

6. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

blood stains dampen the festers like "she" said...then use a toothbrush and borax to fluff feathers......

7. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

theguyyouknowtaxidermy The Guy You Know Taxidermy<Daniel Elkins>

can you apply basic white to the stain after the bird is mounted?