1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fish Reproduction Resin?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by jimss, Jan 9, 2016.

1. jimss

jimss Active Member

I've done a lengthy search on making fish reproductions. I noted several times where people mentioned that not all resin is created equally. Some are brittle and some if sitting around for any length of time my be no good. I was wondering if others have found this to be true? The reason I ask is because it would be pretty easy to head to Walmart and pick up a quart of bondo resin and get to work rather than having to deal with waiting for shipping, shipping charges etc to have others sent. Thanks for any recommendations!

I also noted quite a few posts where people have had problems with resin sticking to the fish scales or where it is nearly impossible to de-mold. I seem to see this time and time again in posts. Does anyone have any suggestions and do you think it would be best to shy away from resin and use something else?

2. You can use bondo mixed with fiberglass resin at a 50/50 ratio and make an outstanding blank. No matter what you use to make the blank out of a good release agent is a must. I like using bondo resin mix because like you said it can be bought locally and I also use it for my molds.