1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Credit Card Readers

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Tana M, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Tana M

Tana M New Member

Hi all!
    I'm curious as to what if any credit card readers y'all use. Have they helped your business? How do you handle the extra percentage charge, the higher percentage of the card is manually entered, vs cash for your customers? Which one do you prefer? Square? PayPal? Etc
    I'm considering one but don't know if I really want to bother since I'd have to charge card customers more or discount cash customers. So I figured I'd see what people who have them think.

2. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

I use Intuit and have had zero issues.

3. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I have a commercial card reader on my desk and love it. I get a lot of income from it, particularly when the customer doesn't have the cash and wants to add a better base etc. or some other upgrade to his mount. Also on waterfowl or pet mounts that I only do with "up-front" full payments it makes the financial part much easier. I don't add to the price for the credit card use since the added income I get from having the ability to having the money already in my account is worth it to me. Good luck....JL

4. bowelk

bowelk Member

Just my 2 cents. I have used Square, Intuit, and Paypal. I currently use Paypal. Their scanner works great with my phone, and the money is automatically transferred to my checking account in 24 hours. Intuit is good as well, but their interest rate is a little higher. Square, I don't care for - the simple reason is that if there is a problem, you have to communicate via keyboard to resolve it - they don't have a phone support number. When I have $10,000.00 + in a charge(s) out there that hasn't shown up in MY account, I want to be able to talk to someone NOW! Both Paypal and Intuit have great phone support. If trying to find your DUE money by relentless typing to someone who may or may not respond in a reasonable amount of time online is your ticket, then by all means I'm sure Square will work for you.

5. Square sucks, if someone even two months after purchase declines the purchase they give you 8 hours to prove that the person owed the charge. It really sucks to be in Florida, in class, in Oct, and have Square notify you someone decline there charge from way back in July. I sent a message that I was 24 hour straight drive from the office and they sent a message back. I had 8 hours to prove the charge or they would automatically with draw from the account. Bottom line I lost $285.00 balance that had been paid by card thru square, when client picked up deer head.

His wife found the charge and declined it. Well that was it to hell with the reader. all clients pay cash on puck up.

6. Tana M

Tana M New Member

Thanks for the input. John C, good to know. I'll look into PayPal to make sure they wouldn't do something similar.

7. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

Have used Square for years with absolutely ZERO issues. Why add a percentage for credit customers or give a discount to cash customers. I price my work with the credit card fee built in. If the customer pays with a check or cash, I make extra profit instead of the credit card processors. I also sell guns. I price those based on cash or check since margins are very low on guns (usually 10% or less). I do add 3.5% if a customer wants to buy a gun with debit/credit card.

8. Amy

Amy Mammal artist

I use Intuit, no issues whatsoever. I don't add a fee to the customers for it; I feel the benefit outweighs the cost. The only issue I ran into is that there is no app for the Windows phone platform, which is the phone I have. So I use it through my samsung tablet, but it doesn't have wireless service so I'm only able to use it when connected to my shop wi-fi. Ran into an issue when meeting a customer away from the shop, and they wanted to use a card and we were not in a wifi area. Other than that, it's great!