1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Big Rock show.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by joker, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Any word on how the show went?

2. jjennings.m

jjennings.m Member

I was there Friday and Saturday and had a great time. This was my first show though so I don’t have anything to compare it to. I also need to say that I did not compete either. I enjoyed the seminars, round table discussion, and the banquet / awards ceremony.

The two hands-on seminars, habitat construction with Randy Mitchell and opening a closed mouth with Brenda Duvall and Jim Kimball were completely full. I also learned from Terry Weick on how to carve a fish body and Amy did an awesome job mounting a bobcat in her seminar. (Amy, if you want pictures of your seminar let me know.) The round table was led by Russell Knight, Fred Vanderburgh, and Larry Blomquist. Very interesting comments and conversation.

I happen to be sitting at the winning table, but I won’t be a spoiler and disclose the winner. Let’s just say there must be something in that Lake Michigan water.

Big Rock did an amazing job. Free shuttle service from the airport to hotel, then between the hotel and convention center, and then back to the airport. Lunches, dinner, you name it. Their hospitality is top notch.

3. Amy

Amy Mammal artist

It was a great show, as always. You cant beat the free food! And some very strong mounts this year. I was told that it was judged on a World Show masters division level, at least for the mammals and game heads. Dennis Harris had some of his excellent mounts there and did very well, as did Rodney Schreurs with his inspiring pieces. The fish and bird guys will have to fill you in on the other categories! Lol. As always, great to see old friends and I met a few cool new ones too.

4. kjdouble

kjdouble Member

As Amy stated, outstanding show. I was impressed with how organized the show was as things flowed very well.

Congrats to all the big winners, well deserved as the pieces were outstanding. Rodney Schreurs definitely set the bar high.

Page Nethercutt gave an excellent first time seminar on bird movements providing not only the understanding of how they move but also the whys of each movement.
    Vic Heincker introduced us to some new moulding materials and techniques that already have me thinking about my next castings.

A big Thank you to Big Rock, Jeremy, Brenda and all those who were behind the scenes.

If you have never attended, it is worth putting it on your list. This was my first attendance but I will be going back.

KJ

5. wctaxidermy1

wctaxidermy1 Member

Do they have any results posted anywhere yet or were they deemed top secret?

6. NATC

NATC New Member

There is a winners list here

http://www.bigrocksports.com/taxidermy/taxidermychampionship/

7. czykdbcz

czykdbcz Artist or just crazy

va
    Big rock awesome as usual. This is my third year attending and it gets better every year. The competition this year was tough and the judging even tougher as for the winners, well deserved. For me learning new things and making new friends to me was the best part..

8. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    I think I might have seen some of the winners at other shows too.

9. wa

wa Thanks John...this depicts me better

Was there World show mounts from 2003,2007,2009 2013?

10. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    I'd like to know how many miles some of those mounts have traveled and how much dust has been knocked off over the years! They still dominate so they must be the real deal..