1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Stubborn tape glue on fins

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by deeter73, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Anyone have an ideas of getting glue off fins? Used frog tape to mask fins while I was painting and went to take tape off and the glue is stuck to the tail worst of all. So far just tried rubbing alcohol but not working. The glue is really tacky. I pretty sure lacquer thinner would probably do the trick but I'm worried it would also eat the fin flex I used on the fins. Any ideas before I take out some heavier duty stuff? I know i'll get this stuff off eventually but if anyone can save me some time and frustration it'd be great. Not even sure why this happened, its a first for me. :eek:

2. den007

den007 Active Member

Pretty sure lacquer thinner would work, there is also a product called "Goof Off." I have used it in the Current Events section of the forum, but it did not work well there. ;D

So what if you remove some of flex fin…….just apply flex fin more when the crud is gone.

3. Thanks den007, I have that goof off stuff as well, haven't tried it yet. I used it once before on something and it didn't do sh*t! The fins are already painted which is why I didn't want use lacquer but it's looking like I might not have a choice. Might try acetone first thou....fingers crossed!

4. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Acetone will certainly remove the tape glue but it will also eat the paint. I would just strip the fin and do it over.Trying to fix the spots where the paint is messed up will be a tougher job than starting over. I you have trouble with overspray you can mask an area off with liquid latex which can be easily removed without pulling paint off the fin or leaving residue. Good luck...JL

5. hambone

hambone Active Member

I know that wd40 takes off the glue from sales stickers, not sure what effect it will have on the fins.

6. den007

den007 Active Member

I will chime in with JL on the liquid latex. Works great all the time.

7. I'll share a secret... To remove stickers, labels, tape, etc without a solvent heat them up with a hairdryer. It softens the glue and makes it want to stick to the backing not the surface stuck on. You might try heating the residue up, putting fresh tape over it and removing immediately.

8. Thanks guys, I did manage to get if off with lacquer thinner without doing any damage. It's all finished up now, will post a pic of the salmon a bit later.