1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Stringer mounts of fish

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by wayne70, Jan 12, 2016.

1. wayne70

wayne70 Member

Looking for a reference picture of walleyes mounted in a stringer pose. Customer wants a shadow box with the fish in it. If anyone has a picture of this type of mount I would appreciate it.

2. couple

Attached Files:

3. .

Attached Files:

4. very nice

5. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Finally a stringer mount that looks natural. Good job....JL

6. buckman170

buckman170 Member

Wow, love looking at your work Fishstuffer!

7. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Nice job! Don't you love the weathered wood for stringer mounts?!

8. hambone

hambone Well-Known Member

Nice stringer mounts, I like the way you give live action to some fish that really sets it apart.

9. bowelk

bowelk Member

Very nice indeed! And as Cecil said, I too love the barnwood as the backdrop!

10. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I found the privacy fence they sell at the big box stores works well if you let it weather. Doesn't take long. Got to the point around here where old barn board was hard to find. They either burn it or people collect it for other things.

11. JL

Making barn boards from new "pine" boards is pretty simple. Cut a new or rough cut pine board to the size and shape you want. With a wire brush on your bench grinder and going with the way of the grain simply wire brush out the soft part of the wood. Do the edges as well. Now all you have to do is stain the board the color and shade you prefer. If you don't have a bench grinder you could do the same with a hand-held wire brush. However this is labor intensive. Good luck...JL

12. JL

Forgot to mention you can do the same with a hand-held drill with a wire brush attached. Just be sure the board is secured solid 'cause the brush will send it flying.

13. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

What do you stain it with JL?

Someone here told me you can weather with muriatic acid. Must have done something wrong as it didn't work! Looked like sheet!

14. KHanses

KHanses New Member

Those look awesome!

15. JL

Found out why I couldn't reply to your question Cecil...for some reason I had to log in to the Net. Somehow I got put into the "Guest" classification. If you can't post my email to you I will re-do it here. JL

16. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

JL's reply:

Staining barn boards.
    Sat, Jan 16, 2016 11:03 AM
    Was checking the Taxinet...saw your question and went to answer but somehow I lost the “Reply” button and only saw the “print” at the bottom. So here goes...by email. Barn boards are made by the weather primarily rain and wind that erodes the soft wood between the tougher annular rings. The gray color is bleached into the wood by the sun and airborne dirt. This is why the North sides of barns are always darker color than the South side. Also bees gather the soft “pulp” of barn boards to make their paper nests (wasps and hornets). If you look closely at the barn wood you will see worm-like (roads) where the bees have been working leaving lighter colored spots on the wood. Coloring your wired-out wood is simple just buy stain of the color you want for the lighter part and another just two shades darker. Paint the whole board with the lighter color then using a rag with the darker color wipe the board lightly going with the grain to darken the higher grain. Apply as much or as little as you want to get the color you want. Experiment with different woods to find what you want. Wish I could have answered this on the Net for the benefit of others who would want to try this but I couldn't. If you can post this go ahead and do it. JL

17. JL

Thanks Cecil, hope that helped. JL

18. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

No, thank yooooooou!

;D

19. den007

den007 Active Member

I don't think anyone mounts more walleye than Steve……….his carved bodies are the best. While I do not like doing stringer mounts……he does some great ones…….fish look like they are still flopping around.

20. thanks for the compliments..
    Den Tyler (topnotch) does a LOT of walleyes.
    just finished one last night guy wanted them on driftwood..
    and also a pike stringer from years ago..

Attached Files: