1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

40 volume peroxide

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Horn hunter, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Horn hunter

Horn hunter New Member

I just soaked my elk in 40 volume peroxide for 12 hrs and it came out the same color it went in? Any thoughts?

2. Jason O

Jason O Active Member

Wi
    for 1 40 volume is not strong stuff and 2nd it probably needs degreasing ,.you might give a senario of what was done prior to this step

3. marshtaxi

marshtaxi Member

utah
    Put it in for another twelve and see if that helps. What is the temp. Where you are doing this?

4. Horn hunter

Horn hunter New Member

I degreased for 4 weeks between 115 and 120 degrees. I'm looking to get a bright white.

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Might not be fully degreased. Take it out and let it dry for several days. Take a good look at it in a good light. Areas of grease are going to have a different color and many times a translucent appearance almost like bacon grease on a brown paper bag. If it was degreased for 4 weeks .. what did you use as a degreaser? Try longer and keep the temp around 120 24/7.

6. Horn hunter

Horn hunter New Member

I used clear dawn about one cup per 5 gallons.

7. Is your peroxide full strength? Peroxide will loose its strength for several reasons. If it is exposed to light, it looses strength fairly quickly. It should always be stored in a dark container and kept covered when you are using it to whiten your skulls. I bought 5 gallons a few months ago from a chemical company that brought it out in a clear container, I had to show them on the MSDS sheet where it stated that it must be kept in an opaque container or it turns to water. I suspect this is more of a problem then most guys realize.