1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Well... He aint pretty.... (first squirrel mount finished) :-[

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by s.iker, Jan 13, 2016.

1. s.iker

s.iker New Member

Here it is.. Was a bit trickier than i thought... I know that i have a LONNNGGGG ways a head of me...

Attached Files:

2. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

The more you do the better you get. You will be surprised at how fast you will improve. Good luck.

3. Cajun Dan

Cajun Dan New Member

Squirrels can be hard to learn on. I still much prefer doing coons, foxes or bobcats.

4. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

The good news is you see he's not pretty ! If squirrels are what you have to practice on , then keep at them. They are tough. Study your reference and keep trying. You will improve quickly as long as you see what's wrong with each one you do. Good luck !

5. bowelk

bowelk Member

I agree with BH - squirrels are hard, especially for these big hands! Nice job on your 1st one! Dare say I wouldn't want to show you my 1st squirrel back in 1969! Probably wouldn't want to show my 1st 20 of them for that matter! :'(

6. s.iker

s.iker New Member

Thanks guys. i cant wait to work more. :D

7. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

That's the spirit ! Show us some more pics when you do !

8. s.iker

s.iker New Member

Thank you i will.. hopefully more prettier ones!!! haha

9. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

They are great for starters because they are easy to acquire, soooo many of them around... Good job on your first one, I see the eyes and the feet are your biggest issue with the one in the picture..

Tom

10. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

Way to dive in there,u have to start somewhere, and at least it looks like a squirrel!,haha

11. 1stturkey

1stturkey Member

the habitat and pose are nice. Keep it up!

12. s.iker

s.iker New Member

Hahaha thanks. When i did the clay around they eye the first time. Looked great. (I ised critter clay) then after it dried it cracked.

Maybe cause i didn't donit right. I molded the clay, made sure it looked right with the fur, took off the fur to let dry. Should i had let the clay dry with the fur too?

13. 1stturkey

1stturkey Member

sorry, wasn't trying to be a smart ass. But yes, do your clay work, mount the skin and then make your adjustments. Definitely leave the skin on and watch it closely while it dries. Cover it with a plastic bag overnight to slow the drying and then make more needed adjustments. babysit it for the first couple days until you have things positioned properly then let it dry thoroughly. I really do like the habitat and pose though.

14. s.iker

s.iker New Member

OMG nooo i didnt think you were being an ass! promise! i really appreciate it!!! :) its my fiances squirrel he shot, and he wanted it like this... too bad it wasnt better looking, but he knows im starting out, and he likes it, even though its a bit goofy.... :D

i was more laughing at the eyes comment because i know they are Effed up a bit!! :p and need work!!! The wood i actually stole from a bar in Puerto Rico when we were on vacation last fall!!! oops... XD i saw this and i was like OMG this would be perfect for taxidermy... and i just walked out with it... cant promise i was sober when that happened... but hey, vacation, am i right? ahahahaha!!!!!

15. Nick85

Nick85 New Member

I think it looks awesome for a beginner I am knew to this site and taxidermy and I hope my first project actually looks like an animal lol. Can't wait to start. Looks like a very supportive group here.

16. s.iker

s.iker New Member

yea, everyone is pretty nice here.. thanks