1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skinning a Fisher

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Jordan Park, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Jordan Park

Jordan Park Active Member

Hello everyone,

So I just got back into the house from skinning my first Fisher for taxidermy. I kinda joked to my wife and said see you in 2 hours. (Thinking it would only take me like an hour). Well 2 hours and 50 mins later I'm in the house. Wife is in bed. (Probably not happy lol).
    The good thing is I got the Fisher skinned without any holes. Got it in the freezer rolled up, I'll do the fleshing and all the fun stuff another day.

I did have some troubles though. When I got down to it's dick I didn't know where to cut or if I should leave it's pecker on the carcass or it's hide. I figured it should stay on the carcass, but pulling it toward the carcass away from the hide was pretty difficult and I finally got it off but left a lot of meat/fat on the hide.
    So I was wondering what's an easier way to get it off?

2nd problem I had was cutting around it's ass. I left what I believe to be his colon connected to the hide. Do I just flesh that sucker off or do I need to be extra careful with that and remove it with a scalpel?

3rd problem was stripping the tail. I finally figured splitting the tail a good 6 inches down made it a lot easier to pull through. I do have a tail stripper, just no way I could pull the tail through from the rectum.

4th and last problem I had was cutting down to it's nails on the back feet. The front feet were fine, but those back feet were terribly tough. I couldn't pull the skin down, so I had to split the leg down closer to the pad of it's foot. Is this normal for Fisher to have to split the leg down to it's pad? I didn't want to go that far down but I guess I had to.

Thanks,

Jordan

2. Problem 3 happens to me a lot. I have an old trapping snare hanging from the ceiling that I tighten around the meatiest part of tail (after its been ripped off the rectum) and then strip it. works every time.

3. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

All the meat and fat needs to be removed. Most can be scraped off on a fleshing beam. The remainder I wire wheel off after pickling. For most mounts you need little if any of the anus skin. The tail should be split the entire length. It also has fat that needs to be removed. I cut through the pads to make the skinning easier and to be able to clean the fatty pads. I start my cut at the toe end of the foot pad and go up about 2-3 inches. You're on the right track, just lots of cleanup needed.

4. scottdawg

scottdawg Member

That post made laugh after a long stressed out day.

5. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

Me too ! Took awhile before I could type. The smart ass in me wanted to take over.

6. Jordan Park

Lol glad you guys enjoyed it!

So the next Fisher I get I should split the pads in order to skin out its feet? I thought splitting the pads would be a big no no?

7. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

I cut through the pads on everything. It's much easier all the way through the mounting process. Threaded rods, wires , claying the toes and feet. Most of the time the pads don't show and when they do, a little epoxy work covers it easily. Everyone has their own way of doing things. That works for me.

8. Jordan Park

Cool! Thanks Brian