1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pretty Cool Award !

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by *, Jan 15, 2016.

1. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

First ever given out by the NTA . National Taxidermy Association " Taxidermist of the Year '
    Thanks NTA !!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

Congrats and well deserved....

3. John Janelli

John Janelli New Member

N.J.
    Dennis, I couldn't agree with Brian W more. Well done indeed!! Tim Thacker asked me to write a short history of that death mask that would be placed upon the back of it. Here it is;

Perhaps one of the most significant museum specimens the world has ever known, the Old Man of Mikeno, forever moved half way around the world from the rain forest of the Belgian Congo to the Concrete Jungle of New York City. With him came his family and home, if only to be recreated behind one of the crystal panes of the fabulous diorama in the Akeley Hall of African Mammals at the American Museum of Natural History. At a time when collecting taxidermic reference material such as measurements, photographs, skeletons and death masks were unheard of in our industry, Carl Akeley brought every shred of anatomical accuracy and habitat into the clear focus of convincing museum exhibition. In the process, his innovations were genius and his methods were flawless. With this plaster cast of the Old Man of Mikeno's countenance taken from life, the National Taxidermists Association bestows upon you, the taxidermist, not only a piece of the mountain gorilla's natural history as personally prepared by Carl Akeley, but that of our enduring legacy of sculpture, art and science that we have come to love through taxidermy.
    Of his very first gorilla, it should be known of the painstaking care of The Old Man's field preparations that Akeley performed in his own words;
    "I had left the camera and tools in camp to be sent for if they were needed. As the beast lay, a camera could not be used. I could do nothing in sketches worthwhile, so I sent for nothing. I set to work with my jack knife and one of the boys had a native iron knife and with these two tools we skinned and skeletonized the gorilla. As we turned him over it kept all hands busy to avoid loosing the balance of the beast and ourselves. It took more than a half hour to get the skin and skeleton back to where I had shot from - a human rope stunt. The boys all worked beautifully. Then we had the long hard trek back to camp."
    For who, more than a taxidermist could fully understand what Akeley had written above? Who, could more fully appreciate his effort and passion in that risky dangerous chore than we, as taxidermists?
    For all time to come, the Old Man of Mikeno will always be the beating heart of Carl Akeley, no matter where each one them are laid to rest.

4. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Congratulations Dennis!

5. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    Quite an honor to a true artist. Dennis, you have set the bar for what can be achieved in this art. Congrats and I always look forward to your next creation!

6. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

Congrats Dennis . John , another great historical article on the life of taxidermy and taxidermists. Keep the history alive ,thank you.

7. dianny

dianny Member

Congratulations Dennis. Dan & DiAnn Schlabach

8. Congratulations Dennis!