1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bear Rug

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by turkeyshooter, Jan 15, 2016.

1. turkeyshooter

turkeyshooter Member

Just got this bear rug back from the rugger. Had the head installed there. Do you think the upper jaw set is too far back and is the tongue too far back. Just wanted to get some opinions on this before I have another one done. Also I do not like the thin felt backing. What is a thicker better backing that I can add to this bear rug? Appreciate all the help in advance. :-\

Attached Files:

2. turkeyshooter

turkeyshooter Member

My apologies for the double post, not sure how that happened. :-[

3. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Looks pretty good to me. Tongue is in snarl mode, where it should be. Gain more insight as to the specimens your working on, reference, video's etc. before you go head first into someone's trophy. Backing should have been done there, you can add what ever you want if you have a sew machine that will handle heavier material but trying to add it now, I see a cluster F on the horizon.

4. Tongue and lower jaw are OK. Upper jaw is a bit too far back but just by a little bit. Heavy felt should be used for the edge but not for the entire backing. Felt is impossible to keep clean and picks up every bit of dirt. Another material should be used for the backing. The felt edging should be either pleated or flat, depending on the customers preference. Not just haphazardly attached like most ruggers do. It should also be machine sewn, not hand sewn. Good luck finding a good rugger, there aren't many really good ones out there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Bo Hersey

Bo Hersey Member

any suggestions on a good rugger?? Thanks

6. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

I like northern pines

7. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

That is a pre molded mouth. Might be an HQ or Research Bear Rug Shell. Not sure which because the picture doesn't show the entire head. Is that a repo nose? Or the skin stretched over a repo nose?

I never use felt for the backing for the same reason as above. It's a pain to clean.

8. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

This is a Rug a finnished a little while back.

Attached Files: