1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Can this be cleaned? Blood "in" pronghorn hair.

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by BO-N-ARO, Jan 16, 2016.

1. BO-N-ARO

BO-N-ARO Hunt hard but hunt safe!

I have a pronghorn I mounted this morning and he has a stain on his shoulder a inch or two wide and 6 inches long. I assume it is blood that soaked into the hair. I have bleached out blood that was on the white hair but this is the darker hair,
    Any ideas ??

2. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Re: Can this be cleaned? Blood "in" pronghorn hair.

Lightly sand it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. KevinH

KevinH Active Member

I would think that blood would have came out in the tanning process, but I could be wrong. I would try some peroxide, just the normal stuff you would use out of the medicine cabinet. Use a rag of some kind and lightly wash it, use a toothbrush if need be, and go with the hair. Good luck.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

It is what it is. This is why pronghorn hunters need to be reminded before they go. If you let a pronghorn hide set in a puddle of blood, the hide will stink for ages and the color will be permanently brown instead of golden. The hair is hollow and the blood, through osmosis, sucks up into the hollow shaft. No amount of bleaching or chemicals is going to eliminate the damage without creating more.

5. J Cook

J Cook Cook Taxidermy

Right on George

6. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    Yep, like George said. I too always tell customers who I know are going antelope hunting about not letting blood stay on them long, also tell them not to drive around with one in bed of truck all day long. Usually during antelope season it is hot and sunny, and they can slip real easy. I personally feel antelope are one of the most fragile hides/hair species of the large game animals

7. Jimmy Rimrock

Jimmy Rimrock Yeah, they come to snuff the rooster

Hard to say without looking at it, but a one by six inch stained spot could be cut out and sewn up in a jiffy.

Or patched with not a whole lot more effort. A piece of clear plastic, like a sheet protector like those used in a 3 ring binder makes a great template. Lay it on the show side, mark the hair direction and trace. Flip it over and put on leather side of replacement, lined up for hair direction, cut out and sew in.

Having a "parts" cape or two can be real handy.

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Jimmy, I've no doubt that would work, but pronghorn are like no other animal. Their hair will pull out when the animal is alive. It's a protective mechanism and I've seen guys pull off bald spots by carelessly handling their hides. No way would I try that on a prong. Just sewing up the back seam will leave haandfuls of hair lying around. Hunters should have to pay for being stupid.

9. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

You have to wash and clean antelope capes before sending them to a tannery. Like Jared said, lightly sanding blood stained areas works pretty well.