1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Traveling to show - trailers & bases.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by aussiesam, Jan 17, 2016.

1. aussiesam

aussiesam I'm an Australian.

Hi.

I did a search but it came up with all sorts of stuff.
    My question is - when traveling to a taxidermy show with big based mounts in a trailer, (i think you call them that too, square box on wheels towed behind a car) is there something i can do to stop movement of the bases around the trailer without marking or damaging them other than driving at a snails pace?
    Rubber mat/foam offcuts?
    Thanks,
    sam.

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

My camping foams work in some instances, but you still have to stop and check regularly. Usually I make my casters counter sunk enough so that if I screw a couple of 2x4's to the bottom of the base it's just enough to keep the casters from the ground. I have a wood floor in my trailer so I put a couple screws in the 2x4's and that locks her down pretty good.

3. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

Our dioramas come off the wood bases. We screw the dioramas directly to the wood floor in the trailer. Wrap and block the wood bases with blankets and wood to keep them from moving around.

4. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

When we deliver bases in a trailer I use packing blankets and homemade brackets that are screwed into the floor. I take 2 by 4 lumber cut into 2 ft. lengths and wrap one piece in a foam sheet. I then lay the other board on its back and place the foam covered board on its side right against the other so it shapes an L. I run screws through the foam, countersinking them just a bit so the foam isn't pinched and to avoid and chance of scratching the bases. You can place these stops around the base and secure it quite well screwing the stops to the floor with no chance of damaging the wood etc... Bases with no wood trim get a layer of bubble wrap followed by packing blankets and finally the stops. Always keep repair materials etc... For any minor repair work at final destination. Hope others will offer thier methods .

5. aussiesam

Thanks for the advice so far guys, that's awesome! - at least given me some ideas now.

I'm borrowing the trailer and its a steel one. Looking at the replies i'm thinking i could use a few timber beams wedged tight into the the bottom of the trailer and the bases screwed onto those. And packing all around just in case. I've got about a 2 hour drive, going to be painfully slow lol. :-\

Sky - I don't know how to fit castors, (silly me) so I bought a furniture truck to move them around. :(

6. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Have your husband or boyfriend ride along in the back and hold them. Lol

7. aussiesam

lol Hammer - thats funny. ;D