1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Quail Taxidermy

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by ibmountn, Jan 18, 2016.

1. ibmountn

ibmountn New Member

Hi. I am an amateur bird taxidermist in Alabama. I have mounted several hundred ducks, a few pheasants and some turkeys. I have not mounted a quail and I have a bob white quail to mount. Here are a few questions I would appreciate help with:
    Can you wash in dawn and blow dry the quail after skinning and fleshing as you would a duck.
    The skin appears to be fragile. Can you sew up the ventral incission as you would a duck.
    I have the bird skinned out and ready to flesh and wash.
    Any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. nina5150

nina5150 Well-Known Member

I personally prep all the birds (ducks,phez,parrots,softbills,quail)the same.skin,flesh,wash in dawn,rince,into Coleman fuel,roll in towl for a few,borax skin,blow dry and place on freezer bag and back into freezer..skins are not that fragile, not like finch. I just mointed 13 of them and of different species but wouldn't you know,no bob whites or chuker.not sure how fragile the skin is compared to mountain, valley,benson,mears or Hungarian.

3. Ted

Ted Member

Quail can be washed. The Coleman fuel is not necessary especially on quail. If you really want to gas birds, mineral spirits are a lot safer. Danny Owens uses mineral spirits.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Speaking of Danny Owens, I believe he has a DVD on quail at Taxidermy Training Unlimited. Research Mannikins Has one with Stephen Savides.

5. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

Several hundred ducks and you are an ameteur

6. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

Thinking amateur meaning not for pay (professional).