1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How to start?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by fallsflight, Jan 19, 2016.

1. fallsflight

fallsflight New Member

Good Day All,
    I have been reading posts and looking at pictures of mounted animals on this site for awhile. There are some absolutely amazing works on here. I have never done any taxidermy work myself. Only thing I have done are turkey fans and european mounts for ourselves. I have had all my deer heads and waterfowl mounted by professional taxidermists. I have always thought about learning how to mount deer heads as it seems relaxing and rewarding to be able to re-create the deer. I plan to purchase Rick Carter's ABC dvd set. Once I do so and have watched the process and decide to proceed, is there a place online that I can purchase a cape that is already tanned and ready to go? I had planned on caping out a deer from this previous season and forgot all about it before I tossed the hides. I have plenty of racks from our previous seasons to pick from, so I am fine in that aspect.
    Thank you for providing any information.

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

There is a place on line. Taxidermy.net for sale section.

3. You can also place an add in the Wanted category describing what you are looking for. You will get lots of replies with capes for you to pick from.

4. austin_0_4

austin_0_4 New Member

I have found many tanneries that will sell capes after they don't get paid for them! I just called around, many didn't have much to offer but here and there you stumble into some good deals and real nice capes as well! I have also seen fully prepped ready to mount capes sell on ebay. And there are enough places like east coast capes, montana cape and fur, and so on that usually have many nice capes for sale as well.

If I were you, Id still focus on learning the fleshing and turning process. Cape care and prep is such a crucial skill to have. It was very frustrating for me when I was first learning, but once you get a feel for it, it is really rewarding! I started by collecting skins from friends and family that hunt, and I also put in some time at the local butcher in trade for some capes for practice.

5. verne

verne Well-Known Member

E bay has a lot under whitetail capes tanned and green . ck out feed back if you by . ;D